Kubernetes Engineer at Porter
About the role
Porter is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) that runs in your own cloud. Under the hood, Porter provisions and controls Kubernetes clusters that run in the users' own AWS/GCP accounts while abstracting away the complexity of Kubernetes from the end user. We are an early stage, fast growing startup and have raised funding from investors such as Venrock, Translink, and Y Combinator.
We're looking for an infrastructure engineer with extensive experience running Kubernetes in production. You will be responsible for hardening the clusters Porter provisions and battle-test them against various stress scenarios. You will identify points of failure and productize the improvements on Porter's Kubernetes clusters across multiple cloud providers (e.g. AWS, GCP, Digital Ocean, Azure).
- Build on top of managed k8s offerings (e.g. EKS, GKE, AKS, etc.) and improve availability, latency, scalability of Porter clusters across different cloud providers.
- Implement monitoring best practices and develop recovery routines in case of critical failure.
- Embed and productize the improvements into Porter clusters via IaC (Terraform/Pulumi)
- Research opportunities for automation/productization from support tickets that arise from clients.
Sample projects you might work on:
- Configure and manage Node Local DNS cache to reliably reduce DNS lookup times.
- Ensure high availability of NGINX Ingress controller against extremely high traffic (>2k/s).
- Develop a feature for scheduled cluster backups using Velero.
- Identify networking bottlenecks and reduce latency.
Porter is open source. You can view our entire codebase here.
Our team is currently based in NYC, but we are open to remote hiring for those who can guarantee overlap with our core working hours (Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm ET). If you're in New York City, we're happy to discuss specific working arrangements.
Interested? Email your resume to jobs [at] porter.run and let us know why you would be a great fit for this role.
Why you should join Porter
Porter automates DevOps and hosting for the fastest growing companies. We let users link up their own AWS/GCP, point to the code they want to run, and then put the rest of the hosting process on autopilot (CI/CD, SSL, autoscaling, zero downtime deploys, infra monitoring, etc).