Technical Program Manager, Core Protocols Stack at Protocol Labs
About the role
We seek talented human catalysts with a passion for guiding teams to deliver quantifiable results in a structured process, interfacing with stakeholders and consumers of the tech produced, and ensuring that these results support Protocol Labs’ topline objectives.
We are hiring a Technical Program Manager to help drive and coordinate development of IPFS, Filecoin, and libp2p. We're looking for people who thoroughly understand the underlying principles of distributed systems, open source projects and networks, coordination and management of large engineering teams, and who will lean into the challenges of applying these principles to deliver open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will engage with an experienced interdisciplinary team to design and build resilient systems for tomorrow’s web. You will work closely with the product and engineering teams to define structured workplans for our engineering teams, and ultimately be responsible for the successful execution and delivery of these projects. You must be adaptive, execution-oriented, and able to succeed within a fast-paced environment.
The Technical Program Manager is responsible for creating the project plan, schedule, and key milestones. You will work with the product manager to derive the product requirements and obtain executive approval. The Technical Program Manager will drive and motivate the cross-functional team to deliver the product(s) as per requirements. You will be responsible for the coordination and management of different working groups or stakeholders to deliver on the plan.
As a Technical Program Manager at Protocol labs, you will…
- Lead the efficient delivery of cross-functional projects
- Interact with a multitude of Web3 and Research projects and other key stakeholders to define and deliver complex projects and features
- Drive team decision-making on technical decisions and ensure that appropriate resources are employed to deliver high quality results
- Identify, assess, track and mitigate issues and risks at multiple levels
- Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders
- Drive execution of projects
- Lead cross functional project meetings, communication, and decision making
- Lead milestone reviews & present project status to the executive team
- Keep program artifacts up to date and manage project document repository
- Drive quarterly goal setting, prioritization, and individual work coordination
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Be comfortable discussing with engineers, understand the technology and develop a good intuition to aid on the decision making process
- Experienced in gathering requirements, developing specifications, and driving execution
- Product & Project Management experience.
- Experience managing hardware/software product releases
- Ability to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups
- Experience with leading 3rd party teams, engineering teams and business stakeholders
- Experience managing technical teams
- Working with distributed teams
- Experience working in Open Source projects
- Experience working in Volunteer led organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage project/task prioritization, project planning and schedule development
- Proven success of influencing and developing productive working relationships with diverse technical teams and stakeholders
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
Why you should join Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs is an open-source R&D lab. We build protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people.
Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, Sourcecred, and many more. Today, we are focused on the Web3 space. Our projects center on distributed systems, cryptocurrencies, cryptography, and game theory. Long term, we hope to establish a lab capable of repeatable innovation, and we aspire to R&D breakthroughs that make human existence orders of magnitude better.
We are a fully distributed company. We have over 100 team members, we work with thousands more in open source, and we collaborate with 100+ organizations.