Engineering Manager at Protocol Labs
About the role
Engineering Management at Protocol Labs
Engineering management is a nascent discipline at Protocol Labs. Our open source and globally distributed nature presents unique challenges and opportunities not found in traditional engineering management. Protocol Labs works at the intersection of many exciting fields (software engineering, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open source, remote-first work). Engineering managers have the challenging and exciting task of taking the best from these cultures to support and empower engineering teams to deliver complex internet-scale systems in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As Engineering Manager at Protocol Labs you will…
- Magnify the impact of multiple teams of software engineers and open source contributors in their implementation of complex, distributed systems and protocols
- Grow engineers’ skills, experience and confidence through regular 1:1s, coaching, actionable feedback, work and peer alignment, and career advocacy
- Lead, improve, and steward engineering practices (technical design, implementation, release, and iteration) for our working groups to minimize developer friction and blockages
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and adjacent teams to build a shared understanding and accommodation of competing priorities
- Empower engineers to solve problems, fostering a balance of velocity and rigour through scalable, asynchronous decision-making practices
- Maintain and strengthen a team and community culture of growth, openness, trust, rigour, humility, mutual support, and psychological safety.
- Advocate for and enhance PL’s asynchronous, autonomous, and distributed working culture
- Lead the process of recruiting great engineers for your project, in collaboration with PL’s recruiting team
- Support and guide other people-managers at Protocol Labs as a member of PL’s young engineering management discipline
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- Demonstrable success as an engineering lead/manager fostering highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams
- Technical credibility through lengthy software engineering experience with back-end and distributed systems & infrastructure
- A strong desire for and history of contributions to open source projects and communities
- Experience working with and/or managing geographically distributed teams
- Actively coached, mentored and grown team members in their careers
- Ability to thrive with a high level of self-direction, autonomy and responsibility
- A track record of recruiting and retaining great people to your teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An excitement for collaborating with people across Protocol Labs towards our shared mission
- You have experience with or deep knowledge of globally distributed systems, cryptography, blockchain or other related domains
- Demonstrable open source community curation and leadership experience
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
Why you should join Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs is an open-source R&D lab. We build protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people.
Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, Sourcecred, and many more. Today, we are focused on the Web3 space. Our projects center on distributed systems, cryptocurrencies, cryptography, and game theory. Long term, we hope to establish a lab capable of repeatable innovation, and we aspire to R&D breakthroughs that make human existence orders of magnitude better.
We are a fully distributed company. We have over 100 team members, we work with thousands more in open source, and we collaborate with 100+ organizations.