Developer Advocate, Ecosystems at Protocol Labs
About the role
We seek a Developer Advocate who will help us support, connect, and grow IPFS’s many online and offline communities.
IPFS is an open-source project that cares deeply about supporting its many communities -- from dweb developers, to browsers, to blockchain projects, to data storage hosts. Having healthy communities is critical for the long-term health of IPFS by ensuring that all contributors and users are welcome, engaged, and getting the help they need.
As the Developer Advocate, you will be responsible for providing tactical support for our collaborators, then become oriented in our stack, and clearing hurdles for them to adopt IPFS in their systems. Day-to-day, you might respond to community support questions, coordinate online and offline events, update existing documentation and issues for accuracy, and manage a team of global community ambassadors. Week-to-week in this role, you might design and implement new community engagement programs, conduct community research, and work with our communications and events teams to plan larger conferences and other events. As Developer Advocate, you will be the face of IPFS to the community and our communities’ advocate to the IPFS working groups. Through it all -- the tactical and strategic work -- your warmth and thoughtfulness will be needed to maintain welcoming spaces for our community members.
Engineering at Protocol Labs is not just about writing world-class code. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. In re-decentralizing the web, we work on hundreds of open source projects pursuing everything from research to end-user products. Developer Experience at Protocol Labs is focused on growing and nurturing the community around those projects, in order to advance the broader decentralized web movement. Community engineers at Protocol Labs engage both with the technical pieces that make up our systems, and the communities that make them run.
This role comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility, but will also require you to get your hands dirty and execute. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d love for you to apply.
As a Developer Advocate you will…
- Onboard new collaborators onto IPFS, through teaching, consultation and co-engineering
- Respond to and address questions & support requests from collaborators, or redirect to the appropriate persons or team
- Synthesize product feedback from our collaborators and feed them back into the documentation and core protocol teams
- Develop written content to increase understanding and usage of the IPFS protocol
- Foster a friendly and supportive environment in our communications with potential and existing collaborators
- Address both conceptual and technical troubleshooting questions from collaborators or potential collaborators seeking to run IPFS nodes, design applications, or integrate into existing service
- Identify hurdles to user onboarding, and collaborate with the core teams to discuss and prioritize related improvements
- Contribute documentation, tools, library and core protocol improvements based on community needs
Ideal candidate will have...
- Previously managed technical relationships in a partner or sales engineering capacity globally or in multiple countries
- Advised on partner projects’ application architecture and done co-development in Github with them
- Familiarity with peer-to-peer, decentralized, or blockchain technologies
- Experience with developer relations and developer support
- 5+ years of engineering experience (2+ working in a related partner/solutions/sales engineering position)
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- And will enjoy taking initiative to solve open-ended problems
- Experience writing documentation or producing other content to synthesize and simplify technical concepts for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with P2P, blockchain, and dapp development tools and workflows
- Experience speaking at conferences, developer summits, or virtual events
- Experience working in or managing open source software communities
- Experience teaching, writing, or hosting workshops
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
Why you should join Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs is an open-source R&D lab. We build protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people.
Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, Sourcecred, and many more. Today, we are focused on the Web3 space. Our projects center on distributed systems, cryptocurrencies, cryptography, and game theory. Long term, we hope to establish a lab capable of repeatable innovation, and we aspire to R&D breakthroughs that make human existence orders of magnitude better.
We are a fully distributed company. We have over 100 team members, we work with thousands more in open source, and we collaborate with 100+ organizations.