Software Engineer at Proven
About the role
Who we are:
Proven is building personalization to e-commerce with technology. We’re launching in September 2018, fresh out of YCombinator, pre-series A with a killer Exec Team. Our mission is to revolutionize CPG that has fallen asleep at the wheel. If you’re hungry and love building things, we should talk!
As a software engineer at Proven, you'll be working in a cross-functional team with leaders from product management, growth, data science, design, and business development. You’ll have the opportunity to take full ownership of interesting challenges and to work with many types of technology. Your time and responsibility will be split in between data science/engineering and full stack development. On the data side, you'll be leveraging Proven's rich data and machine learning infrastructure to develop data products that support A/B testing, ML workflows, data pipelines and ML applications. On the web dev side, you'll be working with Python, Node.js and React to build direct to consumer experience and help us drive towards the product quality our community deserves.
Who you are:
- 4+ years of direct industry experience or a MS in CS or related field + 1 year industry experience
- Solid computer science foundation and coding skills. Ability to write high-performance production quality code. You have worked with Java or C/C++. - - You’re familiar with React and Node.js. Experience with Elasticsearch is a plus
- Good math foundation - know probability and statistic basics
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability
- You’re excited about building smart e-commerce and obsessed with bringing the best consumer experience to life
- You’re a strong communicator, ready to learn but equally excited to teach
- Experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end machine learning systems is a plus. Understanding of common families of models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning problems is a plus
What you’ll do:
- Full-stack with Node.js, React and Python
- Build and scale data infrastructure that powers batch and real-time data processing
- Collaborate closely with product, design and growth to spec, build test and deploy new features for our user base
- Brainstorm with product managers and designers to conceptualize new features and come up with an implementation plan
- Be building data infrastructure, including but not limited to: information retrieval, warehousing, cleaning, indexing and pipelining
- Learn about new technologies and discuss potential solutions to problems
- Grow with our team and company
Come Join Us:
Six short months ago, we didn’t exist. Now we’re a small, yet mighty, team of eight, based in San Francisco. We work hard, we have fun, and we think big. We’re as diverse as we are interesting; amongst us we have lived in over 15 countries; we’re data geeks, beauty aficionados, Brand storytellers, AI experts, high-heel collecting individuals who come together to shake up the status quo. At our hearts we’re good people, doing good things and having a lot of fun doing it.
Benefits & Perks:
- Comprehensive medical benefits
- Reimbursement on boot camps, training programs and education
- Wellness programs with customized skin care products, aesthetician consultations and facials (for free!)
- Healthy snacks and produce from Farm Fresh, plus team happy hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Performance-based incentives and bonuses
- Regular team activities, happy-hours, off-sites, Hackathons, etc.
Email us: email@example.com, please include your résumé and tell us why you are going to be our amazing team member #9.
Why you should join Proven
At PROVEN, we have built the most comprehensive database the beauty industry has ever seen, having analyzed over 8 million skin care reviews, on more than 100,000 products, 20,000 ingredients, and 4000 academic peer reviewed papers. This database is nicknamed the Beauty Genome Project. We then use the data and machine learning to tailor-make beauty products that actually work, because they are formulated specifically for you own individual skin.
Customers fill out an online quiz (questions cover age, ethnicity, lifestyle, and geographic location) to receive a unique skin profile and set of skincare products based on findings from the Beauty Genome Project.
We are changing not just the way that consumers discover and buy beauty products, but also how CPG companies are operated, with less wasteful, more targeted marketing, more efficient inventory turnover, and longer customer life time value using data and personalization.
PROVEN was selected to be in the Oscars gift basket to this year's nominees, and has been featured in New Beauty, Fast Company, TechCrunch, the Verge, and the Huffington Post.
PROVEN had just graduated from Y-Combinator. We were also selected to be in this Sephora's Beauty Innovation accelerator, and had just won MIT's AI Startup Idol award of the year.