Site Reliability Engineer at R2
About the role
Who we are
Small and medium businesses (SMBs) make up over 90% of companies, yet they face a trillion-dollar credit gap. At R2, we believe that small and medium businesses are the productive engine of society.
Our mission is to unlock their potential by providing financial solutions that are tailored to their needs. We are reimagining the economic infrastructure of Latin America - where SMBs financial needs are satisfied without ever having to go to a bank.
We integrate with some of the largest technology platforms in Latin America and embed tailored financial services that SMBs can then leverage. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for managing the interface between our cloud services and the rest of the R2 engineering team. You will manage the availability of all cloud services while supporting the needs of the engineering team through operations, automation, consultation, tooling, research and education.
What you’ll work on
- Have hands-on experience with a wide range of AWS services, including RDS, ElastiCache, Kinesis, SQS, EC2.
- Build automation to execute common operations on various AWS services such as software upgrades, data migrations, and instance rotation.
- Build tooling to aid in introspection and debugging for internal clients.
- Manage aspects of the internal clients’ relationship to these services, including provisioning, monitoring, security, connectivity.
- Leverage experience to evaluate new offerings from AWS to advise and drive adoption to internal clients.
- Work on ways to automate and improve development and release processes (CI-CD).
- Ensure that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats.
- Work with software and data engineers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended.
- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of R2’s engineering team.
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using our infrastructure.
- Plan for the growth of R2’s infrastructure.
Who you are
- 3+ years of DevOps engineering experience or working as a software developer.
- Experience with distributed architecture patterns, in particular microservices.
- Experience in containers (Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes).
- Able to write high quality code in a programming language (we use Go)
- Capable of advising on architectural decisions for these services.
- Strong intuition around designing and maintaining data stores is a plus.
- Think about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles.
- Know your way around a Unix shell.
- Can debug complex problems across the whole stack.
- Focus on the needs of users, both internal and external.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production.
Why you should join R2
R2 enables platforms to offer flexible financing to their merchants in Latin America
These merchants are typically small and medium businesses (SMBs), which make up over 90% of companies in Latam yet face a trillion-dollar credit gap. At R2, we believe that SMBs are the productive engine of society.
Our mission is to unlock their potential by providing financial solutions that are tailored to their needs, right where they buy and sell. We are reimagining the financial infrastructure of Latin America - where SMBs financial needs are satisfied without ever having to go to a bank.