Engineering Manager at Raptor Maps
About the role
Do you want to be apart of a startup building large scale software for the renewable energy transition? Do you have a passion for managing multiple software teams to build high quality products and code that pushes the bar? Would you enjoy being the first engineering manager with the opportunity to shape our team, engineering practices, and software stack?
As we continue to grow we're looking to hire our first engineering manager that can learn our system quickly, grow with us, enable our engineers to do their best work, help us build the team further, and set the bar for EM at Raptor Maps.
- You consistently guide several small engineering teams to maintain a healthy & productive maker environment
- You love enabling the engineering team to decide where to be along the slider of “hacky enough to test an idea quickly” versus “extremely careful that we enable systems to scale”… remember, we are a startup!
- When Product provides the “what”, you're quick and excited to enable the engineers to provide the “how” and follow through to make sure the engineering team delivers
- You are excited to discuss architecture and technical direction and can roll up your sleeves to build, but you are also comfortable deferring to the engineers on the implementation
- You like having a tight feedback loop with your direct reports, which includes check-ins with technical leads, developers, quality engineers, and interns
- You enjoy determining engineering/product/design team structure and resource allocation to best achieve company goals
- You love analyzing data and empower engineers to do so when making strategic implementation tradeoffs, whether for a small feature or massive system-wide change
- You can recognize and encourage engineers into using good patterns and good code hygiene techniques that are easily understood and lead to a solid code base for a growing engineering team
- You have 2+ years of experience as a software engineering manager.
- You have 4+ years of experience as a software engineer
- You have experience leading a software development team that balances multiple competing priorities
- You have experience collaborating with product managers and product designers to shape requirements and designs into technical specifications ready for iterative implementation by engineers
- You have experience recruiting exceptional engineers
- Must be primarily located in the contiguous US
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Javacript with React and React Native
- Amazon Web Services with a general theme or structuring system into many services to enable more technologies to be used
- Docker, CircleCI, Clubhouse
- ML workflow orchestrations tools
- MacOS fleet
- Healthcare with dental and vision options
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Full remote work with paid travel for in-person meetups
- Monthly remote social events and plenty of DoorDash credit
- Amazing team members that tend to love memes, pets, solar, and just generally getting out and being active
Why you should join Raptor Maps
Solar power is the #1 source of new energy in the world. Raptor Maps is a fast-growing, venture-backed, MIT-born startup that builds software to manage the solar lifecycle. We are deployed across 38 countries and 100+ million solar panels. Our software enables the solar industry to scale.
Our highly active 50 person company (and growing!) is located all over the US, and we're proud to be a remote-first company. We do have a physical presence at Greentown Labs, the largest cleantech incubator in the US. Overall, we are a tight and diverse team forged through our passion for enabling the solar renewable energy industry to scale. This helps us to push our lead in the industry, reduce the cost of a megawatt, and bring more solar on the grid.