Software Engineer - General at Reach Labs
About the role
At Reach Labs, we are delivering technologies to enable the long-range, wireless transfer of power. We believe wireless energy can be as liberating for power systems as WiFi was for data systems, and are busy creating the energy infrastructure that will one day replace the aging electrical grid. We have raised funding from top tier VC's, have real world customers deploying our technology, and are continuing to build out the exceptional team that is making our vision a reality.
We're looking for an enthusiastic and driven person, that's excited by hard problems and collaborating with teammates to resolve them. We believe that no one succeeds alone, and in our team, although you have a high degree of independence and individual projects, we build better things together. We need a clear communicator with great interpersonal skills that can tackle both challenging technological problems, as well as thinking about maintainability and robust software.
Technically, you will help develop the high quality software platform that controls the wireless power system. You will expand and improve the existing codebase and use intuition, experience, and theoretical knowledge to help implement more efficient algorithms for wireless power transfer. You will also help us grow our networking capabilities for collaborative power transfer, and many more explorations of electromagnetic systems.
You will be able to touch all parts of the wireless power system and interface with our hardware, firmware, and product teams to expand the capabilities of our system. As a result, you should be a generalist, capable of working across many layers of abstraction and open to understanding new technologies.
This is a developing position in a fast-paced environment where you will have a great deal of agency over your work and influence over the direction of the product.
- Working with the rest of the team in an agile environment to analyze, design, develop, and deploy features to meet business, product, and technical requirements.
- Leading key efforts to identify, test, and integrate novel features into the existing system.
- Ensuring that the software can be securely run on the given hardware platform.
- Collaborating with the hardware team to capitalize on new hardware capabilities.
- Bringing the software system to maturity; working from early stages of designing and prototyping all the way through production.
Qualities and Experience
- 3+ years of experience with a BS/BE or greater in a technical field such as Computer Science or Physics
- Capable of writing high-quality Python code.
- Experience with Unix/Linux development tools.
- Excited by technical challenges; comfortable building a system from the ground up.
- Experience across the software development process, production deployment, testing, and validation.
- A test-driven, analytical approach to debugging and problem solving.
- Strong communication and organizational skills to work collaboratively within a close team setting
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Background or experience in signal processing or data analysis.
- Comfortable working close to hardware. Experience interface with hardware peripherals.
- Experience working at a start-up or with a small, intimate team.
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited, paid vacation policy
- Health insurance coverage
- Dental coverage
- 401K plan
- Healthcare FSA
- High degree of autonomy and work ownership with strong action-to-impact relationship
Reach Labs - Who We Are
Reach Labs is a pioneer in a new frontier of technology. Born out of MIT, incubated in YC, and developed in an "office space" that was once the oven of a cookie factory, we are a group of curious, passionate, and creative problem solvers, and we approach our work with vigor and humility. We've since moved to a new, beautiful office, but we took the startup mentality with us - decisions are made quickly, meetings and politics are kept to a minimum, and everyone here does high visibility work that has considerable influence on our product and company.
Our office has close access to MacArthur BART, public and private bus routes, walking access to Emeryville restaurants, gyms and groceries, and ample bike parking and personal storage for employees. We have weekly team lunches, quarterly offsite company events, and often spend time together outside of work bicycling, rock climbing, and hosting happy hours.
As a result, we highly value diversity at our company in not only professional capabilities and experience, but also in personal interests, musical tastes, and walks of life. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you should join Reach Labs
We live in a world where “connected” no longer means attached to a wire. Reach Labs is introducing a new state of wireless power technology that cuts the cord and pulls us into an era no longer dependent on physical connections to power our lives and machines. Currently Reach’s long-range, collaborative system is transforming power transfer operations across industries to be more safe, effective, and flexible. Through this development we are building the utility to ultimately replace the aging electrical grid, and we’re interested in finding exceptional people to join us.