Beautiful, personalized, interactive developer hubs
👋 Hi there. I’m Tony and I work on design at ReadMe, and our team is looking for a new partner. We're a small team of humans (and one owl 🦉) working together to shape the developer landscape through documentation—and we’re growing! That’s where you come in.
As a designer at ReadMe, you’ll be working closely with:
• Our team of designers, Ryan, Jaclyn, and Tony. All doing cool stuff and excited to have you be a part of that.
• Our Head of Developer Experience, Marc, who grew up in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota. He’s sometimes seen yelling at one of his cats to get out of the way of the TV.
• Our marketing team, led by Sarah, who is a proud Atlanta native and “surprisingly outdoorsy.”
We want designers at ReadMe to understand the needs of developers, and deliver solutions to their problems. That involves things like talking to customers, designing, and iterating. If that sounds vague, that’s because there’s room at ReadMe for you to flex design muscles where you excel, and to practice new things—it’s your journey, we’re just living in it.
🦉 What We Do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. If you’ve ever visited the developer docs for Intercom, Airbnb, or Notion, you’ve used ReadMe! We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. You can read more about what it’s like to work at ReadMe on our careers page, or our Key Values page.
✅ Some things you’d do at ReadMe (in no particular order)
• Getting to understand customers and their issues by talking to them.
• Work on new pages of readme.com with a touch (loads of) whimsy.
• Build designs in Figma, or code (optional).
• Other areas you’d like to make an impact.
💙 You’ll love this job if you are…
• Curious about developer problems—maybe you’ve worked with developer tools before.
• Putting out cool work. Whether you’re prototyping product ideas, putting out fun marketing gear, or making design systems accessible; you’re making it happen.
• Into our aesthetic. ReadMe is a fun brand to work for, so you’ll love it if it resonates with you.
🌱 How you’ll grow in one month
• Learn about the world of APIs, docs, and the developer tools space.
• Add yourself to the homepage; making your first ReadMe pull request.
• Collaborate with designers on projects; with pen and paper and in Figma.
• Start to lead projects of your own, like redesigning our drip campaigns, and adding features to improve our editor experience.
• Learn that we really do have an owl drawing for everything.
🪴 Within a few months, you’ll…
🌳 Within your first year, you’ll…
• Join us on a few off-sites! Most recently, we’ve gone to Lake Tahoe and Redondo beach.
• Lead ambitious projects from concept through execution. For example, we’ve been working on redoing our editor, adding review features, and redesigning our blog.
✨ Our benefits include…
• Unlimited PTO with a three-week minimum. 🏝
• Fully covered medical, dental, and vision insurance for you, and 50% for your dependents. 🩺
• A One Medical membership. 🧑⚕️
• A wellness stipend for therapy of up to $350 per month. 😌
• A gym or fitness stipend of up to $150 per month. 🏋️
• One-to-one donation matching of up to $1,000 per year. 💸
• Twelve weeks of paid parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child. 🐣
• Work from home office stipend of $500. 🖥
• For fully remote employees, a stipend of $300 per month is available for a co-working space. 🧑💻
• Three offsite retreats per year to get together with coworkers and plan for the quarter ahead. ✈️
• Take a look at our handbook for more information on our benefits! 📘
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. We'd love to have you come join us here! ReadMe is open to hiring folks fully remote in the US, hybrid, or in-person at our San Francisco HQ.
🛣️ What’s the hiring process like?
Send us your portfolio! We’re excited to see work you’re proud of and passionate about.
We'll set up a 30 minute phone call with me (Tony)! I’m excited to hear your story in design and tell you more about the role and who we are. Based on what you’re curious about, we’ll set up a second call where you’ll meet another team member.
And finally, we’ve saved the best for last! We’d love to invite you to an "onsite" interview conducted over Zoom. This would be 3.5—5 hours including an hour break in between, and can be done over two days if that works better. We start with a 15-minute get-to-know-ya, and then have you talk with people one-on-one in the afternoon. This will include a portfolio review and/or a Work On Your Own Project interview.
We’ll extend you an invitation to join the team!
ReadMe helps more than 5,000 leading startups and tech companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. If you’ve ever visited the developer docs for Intercom, Airbnb, or Notion, you’ve used ReadMe!
We love what we do because it’s so much more than just documentation. We’re providing tools for teams to build a better developer experience and make their products and APIs easier to use. We’ve got great support from our investors at Accel who led our last round, and our interview process reflects the open, caring, and whimsical culture we want to maintain as we scale.