Software Engineer - Mid-level or Senior, Frontend or Backend at Recidiviz
About the role
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company building common, open-source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system reduce incarceration and achieve better outcomes (both for the public and those within the system).
Criminal justice data today is fragmented and hard to use. Our platform not only links and standardizes data across silos, but exposes it in usable formats to help drive state criminal justice agencies toward real-time, data-informed decision making. Recidiviz helps corrections leaders test what’s working and what’s not—and then do more of what’s working. Our mission is to build healthier, safer communities by improving outcomes for justice-involved individuals.
Recidiviz was an all-volunteer effort until early 2019. Since February 2019, we’ve built an A-team of software engineers, designers, product managers and domain experts. To date, our team has partnered with six states, representing over 10% of the nation’s incarcerated population. And we’re just getting started. For more about us, check out:
- Website: www.recidiviz.org
- Medium: https://medium.com/recidiviz
- Github: www.github.com/Recidiviz
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/recidiviz
You can see Recidiviz in the news right here.
About the Role
We have more demand than ever to expand our team’s work. We are significantly increasing our efforts to bring transparency and accountability to criminal justice institutions through the development of a nationwide open data reporting ecosystem. We're hiring multiple Software Engineers to focus on this critical new endeavor. We will need people with strong technical design instincts, comfort working on features that span across multiple systems up and down the stack, a willingness to dive into tough problems and diverse data, and a collaborative and kind nature to add to our culture.
This work requires both frontend and backend engineering, and is open to both mid-level and senior engineers.
There is a preference for people who would be willing to work from either our San Francisco or New York City offices, but remote is also okay.
- Working with our product, design, and data science teams to build new systems from end-to-end, including data storage and processing, public and private APIs, web applications, and more
- Designing specifications -- and APIs to match -- that can flexibly sustain a nationwide data reporting ecosystem
- Maturing the platform and products behind this effort, empowering us to scale across the entire country, in all phases of the criminal justice system
- Collaborating with researchers and technical staff in partner organizations to help roll out the system
- Ensuring the long-term health of our engineering organization by maintaining high bars for security, privacy, operations, quality, documentation, testing, and ethics
- High empathy and kindness
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of practical experience building production software in a collaborative environment
- A desire to “wear many hats” and make contributions across our technical stack
- Comfort working directly with deployed systems to ensure high uptime, secure configuration, and rapid development
- Experience in a cross-functional setting, capable of working closely with Product Management, Design, and Data Science
- Experience developing large-scale data processing systems, working closely with a data model representing some real-world domain
- Comfort working with external partners from diverse backgrounds and worldviews, including government staff, researchers, journalists, and other practitioners in criminal justice reform
- Familiarity with our technical stack would be a plus, including Python, Google Cloud Platform, Postgresql, BigQuery, Apache Beam, and Firebase
Lasting change is always built on diversity. Recidiviz is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know in your application.
Even if you don't think you meet all the criteria above, drop your resume, and we'll take a look. You might even be right for another role and/or another time.
Why you should join Recidiviz
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company based in San Francisco, CA. We build common, open source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system end mass incarceration and focus on ongoing iteration towards better outcomes.
Criminal justice data today is inefficient and ineffective: researchers, advocates, policymakers and practitioners each need funding and time for data collection and cleaning (for almost any data at all), and most data collected is too stale by the time it’s compiled to be useful.
Recidiviz has built an open-source platform to ingest data from across data silos, link it, standardize it, and expose it in usable formats to the ecosystem. We’re building some of our own interventions on top of this platform and working with other non-profits to use it to power research at scale, inform agency decision-making, motivate policy changes, and monitor their impact.