Head Architect at Rent the Backyard
About the role
We’re Looking for a Head Architect to help improve and iterate on the design of our factory-built affordable accessory dwelling units.
You’ll work with Rent the Backyard’s founders to define the product roadmap, design and implement components, help design a building for modern manufacturing processes, and help produce materials for prospective customers.
How you'll spend your day
- Design components to improve the speed of the building process (starting with a bathroom pod) and assist in the initial bidding process
- Work with third parties (MEP, structural, HCD assigned approver, etc) to update existing state-approved factory-built housing design plans
- Collaborate with our factory team to improve building processes
- Support permitting efforts by working with our installation team
- Help define and expand the company's product line (first with a second bedroom extension module, then multifamily units)
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years experience as a an architect
- Self-driven and can work autonomously
- Focused on functionality & beauty while paying close attention to costs
- Significant Revit/similar experience (you know it yourself or you work closely with a third party)
- Nice to have: experience personally submitting permits with cities
- Nice to have: previous employment at a residential/multifamily architectural firm
- Nice to have: direct construction project management experience
- Nice to have: cross-laminated timber (CLT) experience
- Nice to have: factory-built housing experience
Why you should join Rent the Backyard
Rent the Backyard helps homeowners make money from their backyards by building housing. While new laws have made these accessory dwelling units (ADUs) a lot easier to permit, they’re still expensive and take a long time to build. By building our own Tesla-inspired housing factory, Rent the Backyard manufactures homes twice as fast as homes built "on-site" and helps lower the cost of housing.
Working at Rent the Backyard is an incredible opportunity to be an early hire at a well-funded, quickly growing startup that’s radically reducing the cost and environmental impact of housing.