Sales Manager - San Francisco at Retool
About the role
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Last year we built a small sales team and grew our revenue 3x. We’ve learned a lot, iterated rapidly on our process and approach, and added many customers to the Retool community.
Our revenue and business goals this year are aggressive, and we’re laser-focused on scaling our hiring, our processes, and our team. The problems Retool solves are varied and the customers we work with span every vertical and hundreds of use cases. We’re looking for a leader who knows how to build and scale world-class sales organizations to help us further accelerate our growth this year and beyond.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You’ll be an integral part of the Sales leadership team targeting SMB, mid-market, and enterprise accounts. You’ll lead a team of highly motivated account executives and focus on coaching and developing the team, running strategic sales cycles to establish new customer relationships, and partnering cross-functionally to grow our footprint across our existing customer base. You’ll bring vision, purpose, and drive to the team while helping us refine our go-to-market strategy across the business.
You’ll alsohelp us as we scale the Sales team to capture the market opportunity at Retool, by leading the team -- you will hire, coach, and help execute as we work with the team and broader company to accelerate our platform sales.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
In this role, you’ll collaborate closely with our Sales leadership team across Sales Engineering, Operations, and Sales Development to shape the vision and direction of sales at Retool. You’ll also work highly cross-functionally with Recruiting, Engineering, Marketing, Success, and Support. And, of course, you’ll be working with, and managing, the growing Account Executive team.
We are a team that is passionate about serving our customers and who love collaborating with each other to build an organization and company from the ground up. We’re building a winning, fun, and high ownership culture to propel this company forward, and we’re looking for someone who shares that vision with us.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Determine staffing levels to support annual goals, establish job descriptions, recruit new Account Executives, and lead the recruiting process to shape and grow the team.
- Assess go-to-market readiness across our sales team, identify gaps in our approach, and build new process to ensure the team is properly trained/equipped to successfully perform against our goals.
- Engage at the executive level in key deals (from venture backed high growth technology companies to Fortune 500 accounts) to build trust with customers and grow key relationships in accounts.
- Motivate individuals and team to exceed targets through coaching and mentorship.
- Accurately forecast your business to guide focus across Sales Development, Marketing, and Success.
- Identify, qualify, and help accelerate business opportunities through partnerships with Sales Development, Sales Engineering, and Marketing.
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 5+ years of increasing go-to-market responsibility and 3+ years of sales leadership experience, ideally selling to both high growth and enterprise accounts
- 3+ years managing technical and non-technical teams of 8+ people
- Experience working with large, Fortune 500 businesses
- A savviness for developer products or experience selling developer tools
- Demonstrated track record of hiring, training, and leading top-tier Account Executives and high performing teams
- History of consistently exceeding targets
- Capable of thinking strategically to build a team and tactical enough to execute on a day-to-day basis
- Excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills
Retool is the fast way of building internal tools through our low-code drag-and-drop platform. We were founded in 2017 and graduated from YC the same year. Our Series A was led by Sequoia and we're backed by Daniel Gross ), John and Patrick Collison of Stripe, and Elad Gil, among others.
Why you should join Retool
Retool's a fast way of building internal tools (to manage deliveries, for customer support, etc.). We just hit profitability, have raised money from some great investors, including John + Patrick Collison (Stripe), Elad Gil (Color), Nat Friedman (Github), Greg Brockman (OpenAI), etc. We're looking to scale our engineering team from 15 people to around 25 this year.
Our thesis is that all internal tools have the same building blocks (tables, textinputs, dropdowns, etc.). So Retool gives you those building blocks, which you can combine and compose to make any sort of internal tool you might want. That's a lot faster than writing the same custom code, over and over again. Here's a 3 minute demo.
Our actual goal - though - is to build the future of programming. We think building boring, internal enterprise apps represents most of programming. And if you can make building these boring things a lot faster, you have a good shot at becoming what "comes after programming languages".