Sales Engineering Lead at Retool
About the role
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Our Sales Engineering team is critical to the success of Retool. Sales Engineers drive revenue by partnering closely with potential customers and ensuring they’re successful with Retool.
A large portion of the Retool sales process is technical, ensuring potential customers understand how to build internal apps with Retool and deploy on their infrastructure. Our highly technical team of Sales Engineers builds strong relationships with our customers (most of whom are engineers), a key component of the function that you'll leverage your background to contribute to.
Our revenue and business goals this year are aggressive and we need the right team to help turn prospects into happy Retool customers. Over the past year, our business has been growing at breakneck speed and we’ve been taking on more, and larger, customers. The team is growing quickly and we’re looking for an experienced leader who can help build, and grow, the team.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As the Sales Engineering Manager, you will lead our team of Sales Engineers as they engage with prospects, understand and assess customer requirements, create and deliver demos, facilitate joint build sessions, guide the customer through implementation and production deployment, and address and overcome technical objections that arise throughout the sales cycle.
In this role, you’ll collaborate closely with our Sales leadership and engage regularly with Engineering, Support, and Success.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You will work highly cross-functionally with our go-to-market and product teams. You’ll work closely with our leadership team to shape the vision and direction of Sales Engineering at Retool. And, of course, you’ll be working with, and managing, the growing Sales Engineering team.
You’ll be joining a broader team of Retools who are passionate about serving our customers and enjoy collaborating with each other to build a company from the ground up.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Determine staffing levels to support annual goals, establish job descriptions, recruit new teammates, and lead the interview team to grow the team.
- Organize, train, and equip the Sales Engineering team.
- Assess go-to-market readiness across our sales team, identify gaps in preparedness and build plans to ensure the team is properly trained/equipped to successfully perform against our goals.
- Identify, qualify, and help accelerate business opportunities.
- Participate in deal reviews to provide insight into how to best secure the technical win.
- Build trust with customers and grow influential relationships in accounts.
- Manage the systems we use to document inbound feature requests from prospects.
- Serve as Sales’ technical lead when working with Engineering to identify requirements and extend our product to meet the needs of strategic prospects.
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING
- 5+ years working in high performing Sales Engineering, Solutions Engineering, Solutions Architect, or other post-sales teams with a technical product, preferably at a high growth company
- 3+ years managing technical and non-technical teams of 10+ people
- Experience working with large, Fortune 500 businesses
- A savviness for developer products
- Nice to have: experience as a software engineer or developer
Retool is a Y Combinator-graduate backed by Sequoia Capital, as well as the founders of Github, Gusto, PagerDuty, Segment, and Stripe. Located in the heart of Hayes Valley, San Francisco, we build tools that delight our customers, empower businesses to run more effectively, and keep engineering teams happy.
Interested in what we're doing? We'd love to hear from you.
Why you should join Retool
Retool's a fast way of building internal tools (to manage deliveries, for customer support, etc.). We just hit profitability, have raised money from some great investors, including John + Patrick Collison (Stripe), Elad Gil (Color), Nat Friedman (Github), Greg Brockman (OpenAI), etc. We're looking to scale our engineering team from 15 people to around 25 this year.
Our thesis is that all internal tools have the same building blocks (tables, textinputs, dropdowns, etc.). So Retool gives you those building blocks, which you can combine and compose to make any sort of internal tool you might want. That's a lot faster than writing the same custom code, over and over again. Here's a 3 minute demo.
Our actual goal - though - is to build the future of programming. We think building boring, internal enterprise apps represents most of programming. And if you can make building these boring things a lot faster, you have a good shot at becoming what "comes after programming languages".