Mobile Engineer at Retool
About the role
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Over the past year our business has been growing at breakneck speed as we build the future of internal software. Today, Retool currently lets users build powerful internal apps for the desktop web environment. However, to truly change the way people build software, we need to support the $150BN+ mobile software market with best-in-class mobile apps.
As a mobile engineer at Retool, you will help build, launch, and grow Retool Mobile, a mobile-first app experience. You’ll be redefining both the way engineers develop mobile apps as well as raising the bar on the mobile experience for their stakeholders. This is an ambitious new product line and you’ll help us win by being a multi-faceted engineer that’s excited to solve hard technical and product problems.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You will help define, build, ship, and refine a new product, Retool Mobile. You will be able to help shape the product roadmap by connecting with customers and applying your own experiences as a mobile developer. Since this is a new project, you will own many aspects ranging from app distribution to offline support, and anywhere in between.
WHO YOU'll WORK WITH
As a mobile engineer, you’ll work with designers, customer engineers, and support engineers, as well as our go-to-market teams. We're a hard-working, passionate bunch who are motivated by collaboration, strong results, and bringing the impact of Retool to our customers. When we’re in the office, we enjoy eating lunch (and occasionally dinner!) together, and we’ve been known to be a little sarcastic. But at the root of it all, we come together to show our customers and not-quite-yet customers how Retool can make them and their companies more efficient and successful.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Help build the first version of Retool Mobile, a large project with lots of challenging product and technical problems
- Work closely with beta customers and customer support to define the product roadmap and refine the user experience
- Work in a wide range of technologies and platforms
- Partner closely with engineers to define product objectives, understand technical constraints, and ideate on solutions
- Help assess and recruit future engineers
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 3+ years experience in professional software development
- Experience with React Native, Objective-C, Swift, Java (Android), or Kotlin
- Attention to detail and a good product sense
- Experience owning technically challenging and demanding cross-functional projects
- Ability to make technical decisions quickly, while looping in key stakeholders, too
- Are an excellent communicator (and consider writing to be a fundamental design skill)
- A customer-first mindset and an interest in talking with customers to make sure what we’re building meets their needs
- Habit of introspection and understanding what’s helped you be successful in the past
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Why you should join Retool
Retool's a fast way of building internal tools (to manage deliveries, for customer support, etc.). We just hit profitability, have raised money from some great investors, including John + Patrick Collison (Stripe), Elad Gil (Color), Nat Friedman (Github), Greg Brockman (OpenAI), etc. We're looking to scale our engineering team from 15 people to around 25 this year.
Our thesis is that all internal tools have the same building blocks (tables, textinputs, dropdowns, etc.). So Retool gives you those building blocks, which you can combine and compose to make any sort of internal tool you might want. That's a lot faster than writing the same custom code, over and over again. Here's a 3 minute demo.
Our actual goal - though - is to build the future of programming. We think building boring, internal enterprise apps represents most of programming. And if you can make building these boring things a lot faster, you have a good shot at becoming what "comes after programming languages".