Office Manager at Retool
About the role
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Having grown from 50 to 100 people this year, it’s time we add someone to our team who is dedicated to making sure our day-to-day administrative tasks are taken care of efficiently, reliably, and properly. We're (excitedly) planning our move back to the office in September, and there are a lot of logistics to tackle proactively to ensure an excellent employee experience as we all transition back to our office space.
Once we're settled back in the office, there's a lot to build in this first-of-its-kind role. When we left the office to work remotely, we were only 20 employees! Now that we're growing into (and soon will be growing out of) our space, there's a lot we haven't focused on yet: how do we set new employees up for success with machines, supplies, and seating? How do we want to revisit meals in the office? What facilities needs will we need to scale now that our company has increase five-fold? We'll look to you to lead the way as we grow into this space and onto the next.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You'll own all things space and office related and drive major decisions that impact all employees at Retool. You'll work with our leadership team to understand our culture (where we're at and what we'd like to preserve moving forward) and implement programs and support needed to ensure our employees are set up for success each day, ranging from food to facilities to equipment and making sure our office space is up to snuff for our diverse needs. You'll staff our reception desk when you can, but we expect to hire a full-time receptionist once we transition to our new building.
You’ll also have an eye on what's next at all times. We'll be preparing a move to our next office space sometime in Q1 and you'll lead the charge in working with vendors, movers, leadership, and so forth. You'll manage all the details (though we expect you'll need some helping hands, too!) and execute the plan that will allow employees to seamlessly transition from our old space to our new space.
And finally, you'll have a hand in special events that we host and plan, from company-wide happy hours to company-wide offsites. You'll set the tone for these events and ensure we're making the most out of our time together!
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You’ll join an effective and growing operations team who believes in efficiency, great process, and serving the business. We care deeply about the service we provide the business and we welcome new ideas, innovation, and iteration as we grow.
IN THIS ROLE YOU'LL:
- Be the first member of the HR team at Retool!
- Act as an advocate and resource for Retool employees
- Partner with, and advise, leaders and managers on all things people-related, such as performance management & coaching, employee relations, and organizational development
- Develop and implement HR policies and programs
- Work with leadership to think through, and implement, our talent retention and compensation philosophy
- Work with legal counsel and external consultants to help ensure Retool’s compliance with other federal, state, and local labor regulations
- Own onboarding execution and our tools to ensure each new hire has a seamless experience from offer acceptance through their first day
- Help build out the HR team
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- Previous operational experience at a quickly-scaling, highly technical company.
- Ability to communicate, perform, and react well under pressure or ambiguity
- Initiative for optimizing processes to make them more efficient
- Ability to anticipate and respond to the needs of others before they arise
- Superb attention to detail, well-organized, with a strong ability to execute
- Desire to step into a service-oriented role to make sure the business can grow effectively and employees can do their best work
Retool is a fast way of building internal tools through our low-code drag-and-drop platform. We were founded in 2017 and graduated from YC the same year. Our Series A was led by Sequoia and we're backed by Daniel Gross (whose company is right upstairs from us!), John and Patrick Collison of Stripe, and Elad Gil, among others.
Why you should join Retool
Retool's a fast way of building internal tools (to manage deliveries, for customer support, etc.). We just hit profitability, have raised money from some great investors, including John + Patrick Collison (Stripe), Elad Gil (Color), Nat Friedman (Github), Greg Brockman (OpenAI), etc. We're looking to scale our engineering team from 15 people to around 25 this year.
Our thesis is that all internal tools have the same building blocks (tables, textinputs, dropdowns, etc.). So Retool gives you those building blocks, which you can combine and compose to make any sort of internal tool you might want. That's a lot faster than writing the same custom code, over and over again. Here's a 3 minute demo.
Our actual goal - though - is to build the future of programming. We think building boring, internal enterprise apps represents most of programming. And if you can make building these boring things a lot faster, you have a good shot at becoming what "comes after programming languages".