Technical Recruiter at Retool
About the role
Why we're looking for you
It’s been a busy year: we've helped our customers build nearly-countless tools to do their business better, raised a Series B, more than tripled our revenue, and overall grown the business. And we've had a blast doing it all. This year, we have even more exciting revenue, product, and headcount goals. Without a seasoned and exceptional engineering team, we risk Retool’s success. You’ll work with Retool’s head of engineering, cross-functional stakeholders, and engineers to understand the hiring bar, but we'll look to you to drive process improvements, hiring strategy, and execution with our technical recruiting team
What you'll do
This technical recruiter will be a foundational team member, joining our small but mighty technical recruiting team. You will be responsible for growing our engineering, product, and design teams. It’s an incredible opportunity to build process from the ground up while also having an enormous impact on our culture. We have big goals this year and to get there, we need a seasoned technical recruiter to identify motivationally-aligned engineers excited to build one of Sequoia Capital’s breakout companies.
We’ll look to you to deliver best practices, source excellent and relevant talent, and grow our engineering, product, and design teams to ensure we hit our product roadmap goals. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to hire the people that build the product many of them live in every day; in fact, many Retool employees were former users. There’s incredible opportunity to build a world-class technical team here and we’ll need someone like you drive ahead while keeping the business at the heart of your decisions.
As the company grows, so will our needs. We’ll leverage your skills (and hopefully your network, too!) to grow our recruiting team. You’ll have say in who we hire and how we structure our team.
Who you'll work with
The talent team at Retool is small but extremely impactful. Recruiting has historically been a team sport, and we're proud of the recruiting-forward organization we've built. You’ll partner with the team to set goals, ensure a stellar candidate experience, and achieve our aggressive hiring targets.
We’re a diverse bunch with a variety of backgrounds: some of us come from industries unrelated to tech and others have grown up on a steady diet of Bay-area companies. We’re a slightly sarcastic, dedicated, and hard-working group (who also loves plants and GIFS) and we’re looking to add folks to help us expand our culture. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
And, it might be helpful to note: we expect to be back in our beautiful Hayes Valley, San Francisco office this coming fall, pending a successful continuation of vaccine rollouts!
- 2+ years of full-cycle technical recruiting
- Previous startup experience
- Past success in sourcing, project management, and closing
- Desire to work in an ambiguous environment and excitement to provide structure
- Ability to learn quickly
- Desire to work with other team members, but also happy to work autonomously
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Learn the history of Retool, understand the product, and learn about the health of the business.
- Develop relationships with your key stakeholders. This will include your hiring managers, cross-functional partners, and other people relevant to your role.
- Learn how to use Lever, our applicant tracking system, to successfully move candidates through our pipeline and ensure data cleanliness and accuracy.
- Own the full-cycle recruiting process, from our first touchpoint with candidates to closing them in partnership with our head of engineering, engineers, and peers.
- Leverage your metrics to inform your activity needs, which we'll look to you to interpret and present (and manage to).
- Learn our sourcing profiles and refine them as needed, all with the intent of hiring the best and brightest engineers and designers, from a variety of backgrounds.
- Contribute to Retool's mission to build a diverse and performant company.
- Drive hiring decisions with your hiring managers. You’ll act as a sounding board and guide through our candidate debriefs post onsites and help the hiring team make a final decision.
- Kickoff new-to-the-business roles, primarily within product and design. You'll own the kickoff process and agree on deliverables with hiring managers, interviewers, and so forth. You may occasionally step in to support the growing org by taking on the occasional role outside of technical hiring.
- Partner with your engineering team to identify non-traditional ways to reach out to and attract candidates.
- Design and deploy new programs, relationships with external organizations, and track their progress.
- Help interview and hire Retool’s next recruiting hire.
Why you should join Retool
Retool's a fast way of building internal tools (to manage deliveries, for customer support, etc.). We just hit profitability, have raised money from some great investors, including John + Patrick Collison (Stripe), Elad Gil (Color), Nat Friedman (Github), Greg Brockman (OpenAI), etc. We're looking to scale our engineering team from 15 people to around 25 this year.
Our thesis is that all internal tools have the same building blocks (tables, textinputs, dropdowns, etc.). So Retool gives you those building blocks, which you can combine and compose to make any sort of internal tool you might want. That's a lot faster than writing the same custom code, over and over again. Here's a 3 minute demo.
Our actual goal - though - is to build the future of programming. We think building boring, internal enterprise apps represents most of programming. And if you can make building these boring things a lot faster, you have a good shot at becoming what "comes after programming languages".