Field Engineer at Roboflow
About the role
Roboflow has grown developer usage by more than 5x since YC Demo Day. Tens of thousands of engineers build with us. Helping our users get the most out of Roboflow is essential to their success.
We’re hiring our first Field Engineer to partner closely with customers and drive revenue and retention. You’ll have an immense impact on shaping the future of not only this role, but our company.
A large portion of the Roboflow pre- and post- sales process is technical, ensuring customers understand how to incorporate computer vision into their products. Building successful relationships with our customers -- many of whom are engineers -- is a key component of the role, so you will leverage your engineering background to be successful.
What You’ll Do
Because our customers use computer vision in so many different industries (accelerating cancer research, improving manufacturing processes, enabling automated checkout, and so much more), your workday will always include an engaging variety of challenges. You’ll work with existing customers to drive adoption and successful implementations of computer vision within their products. A portion of your work will also be pre-sale: delivering demos, building prototypes with prospects, and answering technical questions.
Who you'll work with
As the first Field Engineering hire (and one of the first 15 on the entire team), you’ll be partnering directly with our co-founder/CEO and sales leadership to not only do great work in the role, but shape how this function works for the future of Roboflow.
In this role, you'll:
Have a mix of pre- and post-sale responsibilities to help our users
- Schedule and attend regular check-ins with our largest customers
- Serve as a primary, ongoing technical point of contact for our users
- Talk with existing and potential customers, understand their problems, and assess whether or not Roboflow is a good fit
- Demo Roboflow, answer questions about Roboflow, and convince others that Roboflow is the correct solution
- Create technical content to demonstrate best practices (e.g. sample apps, documentation, videos, etc.) like https://docs.roboflow.com and https://bit.ly/rf-yt-sub
- Identify the blockers for a customer in adopting Roboflow, and overcome them
- Dive into our codebase to understand technical limitations in Roboflow that need solving via code (e.g. a bug, a missing feature, etc.) to drive usage (or help close a deal)
- Answer technical questions from our customers as they come up
The skillset you'll bring:
- An enthusiastic, strong, technical generalist
- A background in computer science or a related field
- Technical experience in a professional environment, ideally a startup
- An awareness of the machine learning development lifecycle (and eagerness to learn more)
- Experience with (or an eagerness to learn) prepping data for machine learning problems
- Previous experience talking with customers and solving their problems
- Ability to think on your feet, and solve problems during calls with technical customers
Why you should join Roboflow
We're on a mission to remove barriers that prevent developers from building their own computer vision applications. Roboflow streamlines the process of labeling, training, and deploying a computer vision model.
Computer vision is going to transform every industry. We're already seeing this play out in fields like transportation (self driving cars), agriculture (drone spraying), and medicine (early stage cancer detection). But these superpowers shouldn't be locked up in the handful of giant technology companies that can afford to hire teams of machine learning PhDs.
Roboflow enables any developer to use computer vision without being a machine learning expert. Our product is the key missing infrastructure that allows developers turn raw images into a useful model -- replacing a sprawling list of one-off utils everyone previously had to reinvent and enabling our users to have working models in hours, not weeks.
For example, Sarah Hinkley from Barn Owl Drones uses vision to identify weeds from crops in drone images so her customers can use fewer herbicides and grow more. She's one of our over 50,000 users working on problems we couldn't even imagine when we got started!
Today, Roboflow has eight full-time team members spread across the United States. Their roles range from machine learning to sales. We also have a high school software development intern, and a part-time employee researching our new signups. Kelo, Amanda's dog, is the best at frisbee among us.
We're united in our common goals to create high quality products and place our users first. Since we're a small upstart, that means building things really quickly and fixing bugs right away. As with any rapidly scaling startup, we hope to build a team that is both versatile and adaptable. This role has tremendous potential for growth. As such, we believe that coachability and enthusiasm are more important than experience or qualifications. If you’re excited about this opportunity, we want to hear from you.
We strongly encourage applicants from backgrounds that are traditionally under-represented in tech to apply - especially those who identify as Black, Latinx, Native American, Asian and/or LGBTQ+. People who identify as part of these groups have also been under-represented at Roboflow, but intentionally recruiting a team with unique backgrounds is one of several ways we are working to add more distinct viewpoints to our company.
Roboflow went from zero to over 20,000 users in 2020 (and now to over 50,000 in 2021) and our customers are requesting features and product enhancements faster than we can provide them.
We're starting to build out our engineering, marketing, and sales teams. As an integral part of our core team, all roles will inevitably involve wearing a lot of hats; we're specifically looking for people excited about learning new things and filling gaps where needed. And most importantly, we're looking for people who ship.
Check out our Careers page for more info on the company, how we work together, and how we're building strong culture and camaraderie in a post-COVID world.