Product Designer at Roboflow
About the role
Roboflow's mission is to democratize computer vision so that it becomes a capability every company can employ. Over 60,000 developers (including employees from over half of Fortune 100 companies) have already built with Roboflow for things like accelerating cancer research to identifying squirrels in their backyards.
Our approach is multifaceted: in addition to simplifying complex technology we work hard to inform, inspire, and educate. A big component of making this new capability accessible to non-experts is our focus on ease of use and user experience.
We’re looking for a designer that is excited about the opportunity to dive in and help us distill cutting edge technologies into software that is easy to use and understand.
No prior experience with machine learning or computer vision is required (we have experts on our team that are more than willing to be tech mentors as you ramp up) but you should have an insatiable curiosity and willingness to regularly tackle new challenges. Putting yourself into the shoes of developers is essential.
The Role We just recently released several new features for annotation, collaboration, and deployment, along with a revamped interface. Roboflow has become a complete end-to-end solution for building, deploying, and maintaining computer vision models. We need a designer to help us iterate on our current offerings, while also designing the exciting new ideas we have in store.
You will work with our small, cross-functional core team to shape problems into solutions. The role will involve researching the current status quo, imagining the ideal future state, and then alchemizing it into existence alongside our engineers. We also need someone who can operate on the full spectrum from abstract UX thinking to the craftful execution of visual design.
We do not yet have any dedicated managers -- we all, including the founders, play an operational role and we are looking to add another doer, not a strategizer or delegator.
As an early hire (the team is <20 people), you’ll also have an outsized impact on shaping the company itself. Your decisions will shape how design as a function is sculpted at Roboflow. You’ll also be key in shaping what it’s like to work at Roboflow (think more "culture add" than "culture fit".)
What You'll Do Core Responsibilities include:
- Produce wireframes, mockups, prototypes, and UI component designs for new features and products
- Own the overall visual style and personality of our software interface and expand the Ringtail Design System
- Identify computer vision knowledge gaps in user base and find ways to incorporate more educational context throughout the interface
- Collaborate closely with our development team to prioritize, architect, and implement solutions that will provide the greatest impact to the overall user experience
- Strategize and help define the long-term vision for the entire product experience
- Take loosely defined problems and explore various ways to tackle them
Additionally, as a small team, we all wear many hats and are looking for people who are willing to operate outside of their core skill-set when needed.
The ideal candidate is excited by having a huge impact, including the opportunity to operate beyond product design from time to time into areas like hiring decisions, strategy, content, and elsewhere.
You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with creative peers to ensure consistency across product experiences. We recently hired our first visual designer, responsible for branding, marketing design, and .com work. While you will operate in different domains, you’ll be able to share ideas and tools across teams.
Who You Are
- A seasoned designer with experience working on digital product and/or software teams.
- A strategic thinker who can participate in discussions about product roadmaps and new features.
- A quick learner with an interest in computer vision, machine learning, and tech. Prior computer vision knowledge is not required and we can teach you the fundamentals.
- An analytical mind who loves to solve complex problems in a variety of industries and companies.
- A collaborative coordinator who can work on multiple projects with different individuals to get them released quickly.
- An enthusiastic creator who is willing to dive in, get their hands dirty, and experiment with new things.
- A user advocate who will speak up if something will affect the user’s experience.
- A flexible personality who is okay releasing things that aren’t quite perfect.
The Tools of the Trade We use a modern stack of tools and technologies that is always evolving and expanding.
A sample of our stack is as follows:
- Our core product has been designed in Figma and uses TailwindUI.
- We use modern analytics products, such as Google Analytics, Amplitude, and FullStory.
- To facilitate async communication, we use Loom to record short videos of our work and create opportunities for feedback
- We use Slab to document internal knowledge and processes to help new teammates get up to speed.
- We are open to exploring and adding new technology to help us work better — your input is welcome! Roboflow Home Page
Why you should join Roboflow
We're on a mission to remove barriers that prevent developers from building their own computer vision applications. Roboflow streamlines the process of labeling, training, and deploying a computer vision model.
Computer vision is going to transform every industry. We're already seeing this play out in fields like transportation (self driving cars), agriculture (drone spraying), and medicine (early stage cancer detection). But these superpowers shouldn't be locked up in the handful of giant technology companies that can afford to hire teams of machine learning PhDs.
Roboflow enables any developer to use computer vision without being a machine learning expert. Our product is the key missing infrastructure that allows developers turn raw images into a useful model -- replacing a sprawling list of one-off utils everyone previously had to reinvent and enabling our users to have working models in hours, not weeks.
For example, Sarah Hinkley from Barn Owl Drones uses vision to identify weeds from crops in drone images so her customers can use fewer herbicides and grow more. She's one of our over 50,000 users working on problems we couldn't even imagine when we got started!
Today, Roboflow has eight full-time team members spread across the United States. Their roles range from machine learning to sales. We also have a high school software development intern, and a part-time employee researching our new signups. Kelo, Amanda's dog, is the best at frisbee among us.
We're united in our common goals to create high quality products and place our users first. Since we're a small upstart, that means building things really quickly and fixing bugs right away. As with any rapidly scaling startup, we hope to build a team that is both versatile and adaptable. This role has tremendous potential for growth. As such, we believe that coachability and enthusiasm are more important than experience or qualifications. If you’re excited about this opportunity, we want to hear from you.
We strongly encourage applicants from backgrounds that are traditionally under-represented in tech to apply - especially those who identify as Black, Latinx, Native American, Asian and/or LGBTQ+. People who identify as part of these groups have also been under-represented at Roboflow, but intentionally recruiting a team with unique backgrounds is one of several ways we are working to add more distinct viewpoints to our company.
Roboflow went from zero to over 20,000 users in 2020 (and now to over 50,000 in 2021) and our customers are requesting features and product enhancements faster than we can provide them.
We're starting to build out our engineering, marketing, and sales teams. As an integral part of our core team, all roles will inevitably involve wearing a lot of hats; we're specifically looking for people excited about learning new things and filling gaps where needed. And most importantly, we're looking for people who ship.
Check out our Careers page for more info on the company, how we work together, and how we're building strong culture and camaraderie in a post-COVID world.