Sales Development Representative at Runops
About the role
Join as the first Sales Development Representative who finds and connects with leads to move them through the pipeline. We hire remote 🌐
At Runops, we are part of the wave of companies growing with the increasing demand for security and compliance as companies have to shift software operations ownership to the developers.
We're hiring our first Sales Development Representative. This is an opportunity to join an early-stage team that's backed by stellar investors, going after a big market. We care deeply about what we build and believe diversity and kindness are part of excellence.
If you share these values and thrive on delivering results and growth, please read on!
Your goal, as Sales Development Representative, is to drive our demand engine. You'll get excited understanding our customer profile, engaging leads, and moving them through the funnel.
Our team culture is anchored in the product, so we're looking for someone fired up about sales and appreciates a thoughtful culture. Finally, early-stage DNA is key. You're the first sales hire. You have to figure things out and develop processes that make sense to our stage and trajectory. We are not a fit if you need things set up for you or, on the other hand, dislike a collaborative culture.
As an SDR, you will drive the pipeline by identifying, engaging, and qualifying leads looking for help managing access to different Cloud technologies. You will also prospect into a list of strategic accounts. You will be asked to think creatively about finding potential leads and leverage traditional lead generation techniques to build the top of the sales funnel.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to gain expertise in a sector that has experienced explosive growth in the last decade, have fun, and use this experience to springboard you into your next role, this may be the right opportunity.
- Design cold outreach strategies
- Provide feedback on messaging
- Research potential customers and accounts
- Contact potential customers through cold-calling
- Work with founders to establish leads list and report on them weekly
- Understand our account target profile and further develop this insight
- Understand a lead's needs, and convey product information and value to them
- Figure out what you and we need to do to deliver leads, document them clearly, and deliver
- Develop relationships with prospects to understand their needs, qualify them, and hand-off
- Follow-up with leads who didn't convert despite interest, learn why, and share that information
- Design, implement and manage touchpoints (cold-calls, emails, social, etc.) in the demand gen lifecycle
- Move all leads through the funnel, and figure out what that funnel looks like for an early-stage team like ours
We need someone who
- Has a technical background or experience selling technical products and interacting with Ops, SRE / DevOps, and security professionals. Our champions are Engineering, IT, and InfoSec professionals, so you need to be on their level.
- Doesn’t mind helping across various go-to-market activities, including marketing collateral, product positioning, customer interviews, sales cycle optimizations, brand evangelism, attending meetups, etc., when needed.
- Is ready to roll up their sleeves. We need people ready to hustle, work with the founders to develop lead sources, and learn to sell our products.
- Identify trends from prospective customers to share with the product, marketing, and customer success teams.
- Experiment with different sales channels and can leverage the most effective ones.
- Enjoys working closely with the founders to refine call and messaging strategies.
- Has strong listening and storytelling skills
What we look for
- Clear writing
- Enthusiasm for technology
- Excitement for hyper-growth
- Self-starter who embraces a collaborative environment
- Early-stage DNA. Bonus points if you were an SDR at a seed- or Series A company
Why you should join Runops
Runops is a client to databases, AWS, Kubernetes, and others. Users access Runops from Slack and a CLI. We make accessing cloud resources easier than installing multiple clients and using VPNs. Runops also improves security and GDPR compliance.
The worst thing that can happen to an engineer is to get paged out-of-hours only to realize they can't fix the problem on their own. They did all the hard work of waking up, debugging the problem, and finding a solution. But when it's time to apply the fix, they don't have access. Time to call a DevOps engineer to get permission or have them run the patch.
DevOps means developers run their own code, but how can a developer operate a piece of software if she can't access the database, the cloud provider, or the Kubernetes cluster? Only a handful of people has access to these resources at most companies today.
This problem is not just bad on out-of-hour pages. DevOps teams centralizing raw access to production are bottlenecks to the whole engineering team. A simple query in the database to troubleshoot a problem can take hours for the busy and sad DevOps team to process the request in their queue.
It's not ok to keep making direct updates to the database or change things in the AWS console all the time. CI/CD and infrastructure as code are great tools. But direct access will happen no matter how much automation a company has. Restricting raw access to a few engineers results in bad culture incentives and an environment with low trust and autonomy.
Runops democratize access to production to enable DevOps. We fix this problem by adding security and compliance into easy-to-use clients. Runops enable any engineer to make production access with security and reliability.
How we work
- Our team is fully distributed
- We use async-first written communication
- We assume you are not at your computer
- We invest time on design to make sure the user experience is great
- We opt for simplicity for users at the cost of engineering complexity
- We reduce the number of decisions a user makes no matter how complex the system will end up
- We open-source the pieces of our system that could be useful to the community or bring transparency to how we do things