We are looking for a back end engineer to drive our day-to-day efforts. As a backend engineer, you will build and expand APIs and services and work with our partners to launch new markets, payment methods, and capabilities. You’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company. You’ll get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system, as well as our business, sales and operations teams to understand and solve our users’ pain points.
What You’ll Achieve
- You’ll help analyse, design, develop, troubleshoot, debug, and maintain high-volume, enterprise level transactional systems
- You’ll work with the team to build new API and platform features, focusing on the backend. For example, you might design and implement an integration with a new payment method or a fraud detection vendor.
- You’ll understand developer and operational pain points and work to address them in the APIs you build. These endpoints will be both for internal and external consumption.
- You’ll work with your fellow engineers to develop effort estimates and plan the implementation of products based on requirement documents. You’ll participate in and lead code reviews.
- You’ll help the team evolve with regards to best testing and CICD practices.
- You’ll connect with a diverse team of engineers based across the globe and work with them to develop a culture that emphasizes growth and healthy discussion.
Skills You’ll Need to Bring
- You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself and/or with your teammates. You are comfortable asking for help when you need to.
- You enjoy collaborating cross-functionality to accomplish shared goals. You care about learning, growing, and helping others towards the same endeavour.
- You possess a solid command over software engineering principles and scaling production software to support rapid growth, or you are motivated and excited to learn.
- You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You think critically about the implications of your product and how it shapes real people’s lives.
- You understand that technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You’re not ideological when it comes to picking these and can learn new ones as you go.
- You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, both when writing technical decisions in engineering documents or when brainstorming with the team in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices
- Proficiency with any part of our backend tech stack:
- Experience prototyping, building, and maintaining REST APIs
- Exprience with a strongly typed programming language
- Experience with relational database concepts such as normal forms, ACID, isolation levels, and index anatomy