Senior Platform Software Engineer (Remote) at Sandbox Banking
About the role
Sandbox Banking (https://sandboxbanking.com) is looking for an exceptional software engineer who wants to reshape how innovative software is integrated in the financial services industry. We have rapidly growing revenue, are backed by Y Combinator (W17), and have raised seed capital. We are a remote team with employees across the continental US.
Sandbox is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Sandbox is a universal adapter for banks. It provides financial institutions (FIs) a better way to integrate fintech software with their existing systems.
US regional/community banks and credit unions are looking to overhaul the digital experiences they deliver to customers. Increasingly, they solve this challenge by sourcing software from fintechs — new companies that specialize in building and operating financial services software. Unfortunately, distributing new software to FIs has historically been a long and painful process because of data security and system integration hurdles.
Sandbox empowers FIs and vendors to quickly and safely build new integrations — our Glyue application lets anyone who can use Excel formulas connect banking systems. Furthermore, the platform's fine-grained authentication and permissions model provides FIs with strict control over which people/software can access particular banking data and operations.
FIs and fintechs love the platform. FIs are able to quickly and cost-effectively leverage cutting-edge solutions without compromising on integration; fintechs don't need to spend time and money on activities outside of core product development and distribution.
Why Work at Sandbox?
- Small team — your impact will be meaningful
- Teammates who are smart, curious, and driven to succeed. You will always be learning.
- You'll be joining a rocketship company with rapid revenue growth, a significant client base (40+ banks and credit unions), prestigious investors (e.g. Y Combinator, SixThirty, Startupbootcamp), and great unit economics. There are a myriad of benefits to working for a company that wins.
- Ownership of problems from start to finish
- Significant customer interaction
- Your ideas and opinions about the product will matter. Everyone in our company contributes to our product roadmap.
- You'll use a variety of technologies across our entire software stack
- Remote-first organization that provides geographic flexibility (although all employees must live in the US)
- Salary and stock option compensation
- Your work will transform an entire industry
Our senior engineer will need to handle a variety of tasks:
- Build, maintain, and extend our Glyue integration platform
- Provide feedback about Glyue so it can be improved for internal and external users
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Research, present, and make decisions about the company's utilization of various technologies
- Perform code reviews
- Construct unit and integration tests to help maintain our organization's high software delivery throughput
- Use JIRA to track development tasks, convey customer project statuses, highlight blockers, and communicate with teammates
- Write high quality documentation for both customer and internal use
- Perform basic AWS-based and on premise sysadmin work
- Identify and vocalize problems as they arise, especially in regards to data security
- Help solve a multitude of early-stage startup tasks
- Behave in a manner aligned with our high ethical standards
Talented developers learn new technologies quickly, so we try to not overly obsess about a candidate's knowledge of particular technologies. That said, successful applicants will possess the following specific skills and attributes:
- 5+ years of experience building, maintaining, and deploying software products used by many different people or organizations. Successful candidates will have experience building:
- 3-tier applications comprised of standalone clients, servers, and persistence layers
- Frameworks or IDEs used by other people to build software
- Applications that are specific to financial services. This work doesn't need to be in banking — other verticals like asset management, insurance, corporate accounting, or payment processing would be acceptable. This individual will be expected to possess a deep knowledge of retail and commercial banking within a few months of starting the role
- Deep proficiency with Python. We're looking for someone who can dive into our Django/Python back-end and be productive within a couple weeks. Our hiring process involves technical interviews for which knowledge of Python is necessary.
- Deep proficiency with both Windows and Linux. This includes the ability to be highly productive from Bash using standard Linux utilities.
- Deep proficiency with computer networking (particularly OSI layers 2 through 7) and virtual network management (VPNs, IP routes, firewalls, connectivity testing, and networking utilties).
- Understanding of security basics like TLS, IPsec, PKI, hashing, and cryptographic algorithms
- Understanding of basic software design patterns, unit testing, object-oriented language principles, and functional language principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong deductive and inductive reasoning abilities
- Highly organized and capable of tracking current status, blockers, and next steps across multiple projects
- Willingness to live and work in the US
There are additional requirements related to logistics and behavior:
- Ability to work from our office in downtown Boston, MA for at least two weeks at start of employment. Sandbox will cover travel expense for employee during this period.
- Legal authorization to work for Sandbox Banking. NOTE: We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
- Willingness and ability to proactively collaborate with our customers and project managers. To succeed, this individual will need to constantly discuss/record/broadcast business processes and requirements. There are times when acquiring a single piece of critical information requires two or three conversations with different project stakeholders; this engineer must be unrelenting in such scenarios.
- Fanatical passion for delivering the best possible experience to users
- Willingness to re-prioritize work as product hypotheses and requirements change
- Obsession with code quality, design patterns, documentation, testing, and other aspects of software engineering that empower teams to maintain high productivity over time
- Team-first attitude coupled with an unrelenting desire to win
Experience in the following areas will be considered a bonus:
- Early-stage startups
- Software integration projects
- Consulting (particularly within the financial services industry)
- SaaS product development
- Information security and regulatory compliance
- Fiserv, FIS or Jack Henry banking systems
- Experience with LOS, DAO, data warehouse, or customer support software vendors
- C#, Java, Django, Postgres, and AWS
Please email resumes, CVs, and other relevant materials to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a brief description of why you’re interested in the role.
Why you should join Sandbox Banking
Sandbox Banking is building a universal adapter for banks. Sandbox helps institutions quickly and securely integrate new software from vendors and fintech startups.