Senior Technical Artist at SBX Robotics
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Houdini Generalist, Technical Artist, or Technical Director to level up our procedural asset generation skillset, and to bring expertise from game development and VFX into our world of computer vision, AI, and robotics. This role offers an opportunity to be a jack-of-all-trades, to teach as well as execute, to quickly grow into a leadership position. You will work directly with the founders who bring Silicon Valley experience from companies like Uber ATG, Kindred AI, Yelp and Wish.
Skills & Qualifications required
- 3+ years experience with procedural modeling and procedural environment generation
- 2+ years of Unreal Engine experience
- 2+ years of Houdini experience
- Working knowledge of Maya, Blender, or equivalent
- Basic understanding of Python and CG pipelines
- Familiarity with Linux strongly preferred
What will you work on?
- Build virtual worlds that match our client’s environments to train computer vision systems.
- Real world robots will behave differently because of your work!
- Run experiments with our Machine Learning Researchers to isolate the details that matter
- Is it the lighting? Model fidelity? Textures? Animations or blurring?
- Potential to be a co-author on a scientific paper in robotics or computer vision
- Configure asset generation & import pipelines to train computer vision systems.
- Improve our suite of tools, making it faster and easier to ship the next project.
- Some projects will ship in days, while others can take weeks.
- Help grow the creative team to keep up with demand.
What are you going to learn?
- End-to-end experience procedurally creating hundreds of virtual worlds from base elements.
- What cutting edge vision-driven robots are really capable of.
- How deep learning computer vision systems are designed, trained, tested, and deployed
- How to coach & lead a small team, helping a tiny startup grow from seed stage to beyond!
This position will be remote, with core hours in Eastern Time.
Why you should join SBX Robotics
Today's state of the art deep learning computer vision algorithms require vast amounts of data to be collected, labeled, and cleaned -- this is expensive and can take months of work. At SBX we take a novel approach. For each of our vision systems we spin up a virtual world, train the algorithms in the simulation, and test them on real world data. By leveraging tools from VFX and video games we can achieve results that match and outperform the state of the art, in a fraction of the time -- take a look at our system in action!
The founding team draws on experience from companies like Uber ATG, Kindred AI, Yelp and Wish.