Director of Engineering, Full-Stack at Seer
About the role
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Seer is looking for a Director of Engineering to help build our engineering team and culture as we scale from dozens of well known customers like LVMH, Saks Fifth Avenue to thousands. We’re a small well-funded startup backed by YC, Foundation Capital, Global Founders Capital, and SoftBank based in Palo Alto, CA. Come help us build a new way for retailers to connect and sell to their customers!
WHAT THE JOB ENTAILS
You'll be running Seer’s growing engineering team and responsible for the platform frontend, backend, database, server infrastructure and devops.
Given our small team size, this will be a hands-on role where you will be coding as a full-stack web developer, along with leading the team on architecture and best practices, mentoring and hiring. You'll be spending 50% of the time coding and 50% of the time managing.
This position is great for someone with a few years of tech lead experience, now looking to step up into a people leadership role.
The management portion of the job, specifically, is not administrative. It’s closely related to what a senior engineer/architect would do, such as:
Code review and pushing PRs. You’ll be the most senior engineer on the team, responsible for code review, final testing, and pushing the PR live.
Educating the team. Ensuring each engineer understands how the platform works, the user journey and who our user is. You’ll also be creating documentation for educational purposes that the engineers can reference.
Organization building. You’ll create the conventions for code quality and style, as well as the process for code review that involves the entire team. You’ll create the metrics that measure our team’s effectiveness in order to track their velocity.
Scoping & prioritizing requests from product & sales. When the product team wants to implement a new feature, you’ll take their business requirements to create the engineering task, keeping in mind all dependencies (Metabase, analytics, etc). You’ll check with each member of the team to ensure they’re on track to complete tasks as well as growing their skill set. You’ll be assigning the sprint tasks, training the team, and clearing blockers hour by hour.
In terms of ramp up, you’ll be working primarily as a developer for the first month, and slowly transitioning into these above management responsibilities after a month.
- 6+ years of programming experience
- Experience as a tech lead
- Startup experience (Series C or earlier), demonstrating that you can thrive in our fast-paced startup environment
- Experience scaling teams anywhere from 5 to 30 engineers
- Ability to attract top talent, including leveraging contacts in your network
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to articulate customer and technical requirements with all stakeholders
- Ability to write clean, readable code that performs at scale
- Extensive experience with AWS and all following AWS products: EC2, S3, CDK, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy
- Experience with Unit Testing/E2E testing
- Experience with Integrations, CI/CD
- Extensive Git/Github/Gitflow experience
- Seer is a software platform that helps retail sales people create personalized lookbooks that can be sent via sms, email.
- Our 2 year goal is to become an indispensable communication and content creation tool for retail salespeople.
- Our 5 year goal is to become the #1 sales tool in the world helping individuals start businesses (like shopify did for e-commerce) and redefine the role of retail sales associates.
- In March 2021, we raised $2.3M in seed funding.
- Looking for an engineering director who has experience leading and scaling a team.
If you want to learn more about Seer, check out our website, our post on product hunt and this article on Vogue Business:
Why you should join Seer
The future of retail is here. Seer is a software platform that helps retail salespeople create and send personalized shoppable lookbooks to their customers via email and sms.
In minutes salespeople can create personalized, click-worthy content for multi-channel outreach. Manage sales activity, client activity, and engagement in real time.
Seer is already generating results and used by some of the biggest names in retail.