Machine Learning Engineer, Messaging at SendBird
About the role
Engineering - San Mateo, United States
The engineering team at SendBird is solving some of the biggest challenges related to building reliable, feature-rich, and scalable real-time conversational experiences across different platforms globally.
The challenges range from building a platform that can scale to some of the largest user-bases across distributed environments with optimal latency; creating a feature-rich yet lightweight and high-performance client-side SDK; and building products and services that can help customers incorporate real-time conversational technologies more rapidly. We believe that the next critical step for us would be investing in data and building up the ability to leverage machine learning and data science to add more value to our customers and our product.
You will be participating in building the best real-time conversational products and solutions possible. You are expected to learn and expand on your engineering knowledge and experiences to build a world-class product that solves the difficult problems of our customers and make it as easy as possible for them to harness the power of real-time chat.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead the development of analytics and machine learning products, services and tools in Python, Java, Scala
- Leverage your intuitive feel for products,and envision how a tool or approach could best fit product needs and present your approach effectively.
- Design distributed, high-volume ETL data pipelines that power SendBird analytics and machine learning products
- Participate in building the production service using open-source technologies such as Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch and AWS cloud infrastructure such as EMR, Kinesis, Aurora, S3, Athena, Redshift
- Aggregate, normalize and process various types of data from disparate sources to gain perspective on user behavior, prevent and detect fraud, detect system anomalies and build forecasting models.
- Collaborate with other teams and work cross-functionally for data-related product initiatives
YOU WILL HAVE
- 5+ years of academic or professional experience in data science, building ETL pipelines or machine learning features in production.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores
- Fluency in several programming languages such as Python, Java, or Scala
- Ability to find the optimal solution given resource constraints; understands under-engineering and over-engineering concepts
- Passionate about working with data at scale.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Work experience in building natural language processing products
- Work experience in AWS data pipeline eco-system
- Familiar with Spark and Hadoop
- Understanding of RDBMS, NoSQL, and distributed databases
- Pick your new laptop!
- 4 weeks PTO!
- 99.99% Paid Benefits
- 12 US Paid Holidays
- Fun working environment!
- Flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to work for one of the hottest startups on the planet! -
Why you should join SendBird
SendBird is the world's leading chat & messaging platform as service backed by Shasta Ventures, August Capital, ICONIQ Capital, Tiger Global Management, and Y Combinator and have closed $102M Series B recently. We provide managed infrastructure, APIs and SDKs that enable developers to implement consumer-grade messaging experiences directly inside their own products.
76% of the world’s population uses a messenger app - that’s 5.8 billion users. SendBird is already the market leader in chat and messaging and we've tripled our revenue year over year. We are expanding our operations globally to continue serving the world’s most innovative companies like Reddit, NBA, Yahoo! Sports, and Delivery Hero.
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN US
We are building the most scalable chat infrastructure. We manage over 1.5B messages per month from 100M monthly active users and support over 1M+ concurrent connections per application. We face exciting engineering challenges at scale over a globally distributed infrastructure.
Chat has become the most engaging tool for communicating in marketplaces, on-demand services, and online communities. Real-time chat increases direct communication between key users, leading to more transactions, higher user engagement and retention, and better conversion to key business goals. Building and maintaining a large-scale, globally distributed chat system is a massive engineering effort. That’s why innovative businesses use our technology. By using SendBird’s API, our customers are able to integrate real-time, massively-scaled chat and messaging into any application.
We’re the #1 chat and messaging API and SDK, powering in-app conversation for some of the world’s leading companies.