Marketplace for homemade food
At Shef, we are building a community-based food platform. We believe in providing our community of shefs (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees) the opportunity to make a meaningful income from their very own kitchens - doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, homemade meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef. As one of TechCrunch's "favorite YC startups” backed by prominent Silicon Valley VCs and investors -- we have a ton of exciting work ahead of us! We are looking for a Senior Product Designer to help elevate our design culture and product development process.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a senior designer to help guide our small but growing team, and make an instrumental impact on our design culture and how we develop welcoming products. This is an opportunity of a lifetime as you will be responsible for setting the strategy, building and evolving our design system, redefining the Shef brand, and helping deliver on impactful design projects that will serve customers across marketplaces and use cases — from building the future of food discovery, to community interactions, to order management systems, and more.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
• Be a crucial part of the development process. Represent the design team with your product and engineering partners, facilitate design discussions, and help drive product development from concept to delivery.
• ** Build and evolve the Shef design system.** Create, evolve, and evangelize design systems for customers, cooks, and admins. Make informed design decisions based on user research, data and intuition.
• Redefine and promote Shef’s brand. Collaborate with the co-founders, marketing and product to rethink Shef’s brand. Create brand guides and work to ensure the team is following these guidelines.
• Be user-centric. Work with product and marketing to deeply understand user problems and needs. Validate ideas with mockups, prototypes, and usability testing.
• Be a beacon for design thinking. Educate the Shef team on design processes such as Jobs to be Done, Customer Journeys, and Problem Framing. Lead product discovery working groups.
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU A STRONG FIT
• You have an outstanding portfolio or history of work, showcasing a depth of knowledge in user experience, visual and brand design.
• You strive to intimately know the people you’re designing for and how your work impacts their lives.
• You know it’s the little things that make people love a product, but you also know when it’s time to ship — You know that sometimes it’s better to validate assumptions early on.
• You like thinking about complex problems, and enjoy exploring the ambiguity inherent to defining a new product category.
• You have a self-starter attitude and enthusiasm for working in a hyper fast-paced, growing startup environment.
• You have stellar communication and documentation skills.
• You are extremely curious and have strong attention to detail.
• You have a sense of humor and energy for working on complex, high-impact solutions.
• You are a capable illustration and motion designer
• You have worked at an early stage, fast-paced startup
• 5+ years experience in an individual contributor role, on a Product Design team.
• You have experience designing mobile-first digital products and web/desktop products.
• You have experience creating or rethinking a consumer focused design system from scratch.
• You have experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
• You like food :)
At Shef, we’re rebuilding the food system from scratch, redefining who can participate in the food economy, and returning personal connection to the making, eating, and sharing of food.
Shef is an online marketplace for local, food safety certified cooks to connect with customers in their community and earn a meaningful income selling homemade dishes.
75% of shefs are women and 80% are people of color. Together, they represent nearly 100 countries around the world, from Algeria to Korea, to India and Venezuela. Shefs are aunties and abuelas, immigrants and refugees, stay-at-home parents and restaurant dreamers. They’re passionate local cooks in your community who are doing what they love most — sharing their food and culture with you.
Shef is also part of a growing movement to build a more inclusive food system for all. We are proud to support and champion advocacy efforts to expand home cooking laws across the country so that talented cooks everywhere can earn a meaningful income from their own kitchens.
Join us: https://jobs.lever.co/shef