Software Engineer - TypeScript / React / Node / GraphQL at Shef (YC W19)
About the role
At Shef, we are building a marketplace for home cooks. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef. As one of TechCrunch's "favorite YC startups" backed by prominent Silicon Valley VCs and investors -- we have a ton of exciting work ahead of us!
About the role
As a software engineer, at Shef you will be responsible for building delightful experiences for consumers and chefs across the country. You will optimize the shopping experience for our consumers, and build out micro-entrepreneurship tools for our shefs to run their own businesses. If we succeed, you will have fundamentally changed how people purchase food and the variety of healthy, affordable, and authentic food that they have access to.
This role reports directly to the CTO.
- Think like a Product Manager - Discovering insights, opportunities, and requirements for new features
- Build new features that delight our consumers and help our Shefs grow their own businesses.
- Establishing best practices, design patterns, and frameworks for new areas of our tech stack
- Own your code. You're responsible for monitoring, analyzing, and iterating on your features.
- You will be a key team member, helping to build out our consumer and chef facing websites.
- Building out features in our mobile app using React Native.
- Reporting directly to CTO
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Self-starter who is smart, driven, and hardworking
- Preferred skills: GraphQL, Apollo, Node
- Excited about Shef's mission of unlocking the home-cooked food industry
- Wants to own a part of the product from end to end - looking at data, coming up with ideas, speccing and launching new products.
- Brings a heavy focus on increasing revenue.
- Has a good understanding of user behavior.
- Has experience with funnel analysis and A/B testing
- Bonus for past experience working on food & restaurant products or online marketplaces
Why you should join Shef
At Shef, we're bringing the sharing economy to the table. We believe in providing our Shefs (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents) the opportunity to make a meaningful income from their very own kitchens. We also believe that every person should have access to a healthy, homemade meal at an affordable price. Building a safe and happy community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.