General Manager (New York) at Shef
About the role
WHAT WE DO
At Shef, we are building a homemade food marketplace. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees and out-of-work restaurant chefs) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.
We are committed to reimagining home cooking regulations around the country to help put people back to work following the COVID-19 pandemic and have raised nearly $30M from investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Craft Ventures, and M13, as well as founders and executives from Instacart, TaskRabbit, StubHub, AngelList, Lyft, Airbnb, and Yelp. We have a ton of exciting work ahead of us and are excited to have you join us!
As a GM, you will be fully responsible for all strategy, execution and performance of your market. You will oversee a range of business functions, including P&L management, shef recruitment and support, ground operations, strategic partnerships, insight generation, and more.
This role requires a roll-up-your-sleeves mindset. You are an entrepreneurial rock star with a passion for innovation, a knack for problem solving, and the ability to thrive in ambiguity. You are a creative, big-picture individual with the will and ability to act swiftly, maintain attention to detail, think analytically, and execute at the highest level. You're not afraid to get your hands doing and execute on operational day-to-day needs. If this describes you well, we would love to meet you!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Oversee and lead Shef’s expansion to New York. You will have full ownership over the market’s growth and profitability
- Establish the foundation of your market’s operations, building relationships with operating partners and developing the ground operations infrastructure
- Forecast and set goals for your market, while creating an environment of experimentation, analytical thinking and precision to reach those goals
- Run on-the-ground operations, and ensure deliveries arrive on-time in the hands of our customers
- Lead the recruitment, on-boarding and support of talented cooks in your market
- Identify and communicate product needs to product/engineering teams, sharing best practices to build for scale across the organization
- Remove blockers, solve problems, and find a path forward through ambiguity, operating in a dynamic and rapidly growing environment
- Inform and assist the marketing team in user acquisition and retention efforts
- Manage marketplace equilibrium between supply and demand - designing effective incentive programs and managing user acquisition
- Manage relationships with local regulatory and strategic partners to ensure strong partnership with local officials
- Manage local business development to drive demand growth in your market
- Be a culture leader, and create a fun, inclusive, and safe workplace
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU A STRONG FIT
- Goal focused with a strong bias toward action
- High EQ with proven ability to deliver outstanding results in a time-sensitive environment
- Entrepreneurial hustle and proven self-starter with owner’s mentality; entrepreneurial experience is a plus!
- Experience navigating ambiguous environments solving complex problems while exercising good judgement - no problem is for you is too big or too small!
- Data-driven mindset, strong business judgment, and proven ability to perform quantitative analyses, draw key insights, and form and execute a strategy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build sustainable relationships, work with a team, influence stakeholders, and inspire others
- Operations-minded, execution-focused, and not afraid to grind in order to get the job done
- Willingness to get your hands dirty, lead by example, and be a team-player both through in-person and remote work
- Desire to be part of a high-growth, mission-driven startup on a path to disrupt the way we share food
- Passion for Shef’s mission to build a community-based food platform that provides economic opportunity and high-quality, affordable meals for all
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience
- MBA preferred
- 5+ years of operations management, business consulting, or related experience managing operations, building and developing diverse teams, optimizing processes
Why you should join Shef
At Shef, we're bringing the sharing economy to the table. We believe in providing our Shefs (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents) the opportunity to make a meaningful income from their very own kitchens. We also believe that every person should have access to a healthy, homemade meal at an affordable price. Building a safe and happy community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.