Electrical Engineering and Photonics Intern at SiPhox at SiPhox
About the role
We are looking for a Electrical Engineering and Photonics Intern to help us develop our multiplexed at-home diagnostics tool!
SiPhox, a Khosla Ventures, and Y-Combinator backed startup, is building a next-generation diagnostics platform that provides the power of large laboratory instruments in a handheld device that accepts disposable cartridges. Each cartridge can multiplex many biomarkers on a single $0.50 silicon photonic chip and provides a highly sensitive readout of immunoassays and molecular diagnostics. The sensor chips are made in standard silicon chip foundry processes and can be easily scaled to provide a billion tests per week. SiPhox is based in the Boston area.
Your responsibilities will include testing and developing silicon photonic chip sensors, lasers and related electronics in collaboration with SiPhox's interdisciplinary sensor development team. Fifty percent of your time will be spent on collaborative work and fifty percent will be allocated to an individual project that you will lead.
What to Expect:
- Use first principles physics as a basis for every decision
- "Work on cutting-edge tech with a team of intelligent people from diverse fields, while being given disproportionate responsibility and exposure based on age/ school year." - JC, Stanford Undergrad
- "An experienced team invested in not only the company's goals but also interns’ development." - SF, U Michigan Grad Student
- "Opportunity to learn and grow in several disciplines, rare freedom to direct your own experimental/work course." - TS, Harvard Undergrad
- "Progress rapidly while working with an interdisciplinary team, great mentorship and instruction, gain exposure and expertise with a variety of technologies." - NP, MIT Undergrad
You are a good fit if:
- "You have the ability to do independent, self-guided work and communicate that work to team." - JC, Stanford Undergrad
- "You have the ability to think and troubleshoot systematically/scientifically, self-organization balancing multiple responsibilities. You have the desire to know well/'own' a particular area."- TS, Harvard Undergrad
- "You have the ability to design and plan thorough experiments, present data clearly and accurately to team members, also the willingness to learn rapidly when presented with new material / expectations."-NP, MIT Undergrad
- Full time
- Monday - Friday
- Occasional Weekend Work
- All Work On-Site
- 3 months minimum, 6+ months preferred
Why you should join SiPhox
Photonic chips for 100x smaller, 100x cheaper multiplexed diagnostics