Software Engineer (Platform) at Skio
About the role
Skio (skio.com) helps brands on Shopify sell subscriptions. This is also actually a trojan horse into a much bigger vision as well :)
We’re growing extremely quick after launching in late April 2021 and just closed a $3.7m seed from top investors including Y Combinator, Adjacent, James Beshara, Jeremy Cai (Italic), Shaan Puri (@ShaanVP), Julian Shapiro (Demand Curve), Roman Khan (Linjer, Raycon), Kevin Lee (immi), Maneet Khaira (Backbone), & many more.
Ways we stand out:
- Can give lots of equity. We'll always take 1 amazing-fit over 3 average-fits. Solo founder so this can actually happen for the right people
- Customers like Bev, MatchaBar, Muddy Bites, Red Bay Coffee, Stryx, Barukas, Remedy Organics
- Have clear product-market-fit and in pure execution mode. Incumbent (ReCharge) is worth $2.1b, is extremely painful to use, and is extremely easy to migrate existing subscribers from
- Transaction fee business model (1% + 20c) means we make lots of money
- Own parts of the merchant dashboard and customer subscription management
- Partner closely with our merchants (you'll be critical in helping to shape our roadmap)
- Wear many hats (eng, growth, product, design) & build a lot of fun stuff
- Are creative and self-driven (e.g. you think of 5 high quality ideas while working on 1 idea)
- 1+ years of experience (if you feel like that doesn't apply to you, go for it anyway)
- Have past startup experience (bonus)
- Are based in SF or can relocate (working from home as needed is totally ok though)
Why you should join Skio
Skio (skio.com) helps brands on Shopify sell subscriptions without ripping their hair out.
Customers include Bev (drinkbev.com), MatchaBar (matchabar.co), Muddy Bites (muddybites.com), Stryx (stryx.com), Doe Lashes (doelashes.com), Barukas (barukas.com), Red Bay Coffee (redbaycoffee.com), & Remedy Organics (remedyorganics.com).
We've raised $3.7m from investors like Y Combinator (ycombinator.com), Adjacent (Nico Wittenborn), James Beshara (Magic Mind, @jamesbeshara), Jeremy Cai (Italic, @jjeremycai), Daniel Rutberg/Moody Nashawaty (Mutesix), Shaan Puri (My First Million, @ShaanVP), Julian Shapiro (Demand Curve, @julian), Roman Khan (Linjer, Raycon), Paul Michaux (Prose), Kevin Lee (immi, @kevinleeme), Geoff Miles (Bev), Kal Freese (Taika), Mike Rossi (Smile.io), Lauren Jarvis (Literati), Maneet Khaira (Backbone), Adrian Alfieri (@adrianalfieri), Grace Clarke (@graceclarke), Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom), Alex Whatley (Cresicor), Jeff Chang (Growth Advisor, @JeffChang30), Mike Angell (Carted), Roland Cassirer/Ryan Brennan/Phil Kramer (Orchard Analytics), Yunyu Lin/Rahul Sengottuvelu (Cohere), & many D2C angels.
We do better than current solutions through native Shopify checkout (increased conversions with PayPal option, no duplicate products, no checkout.rechargeapps.com url, no separate refunding), passwordless login (customer tickets around login solved), 10x faster subscription editing, a ready-to-go headless subscription portal (instant loads), group subscription discounts (referrals 2.0), and an easy migration from ReCharge (no payment method updates needed).
The company is founded by Kennan Davison (linkedin.com/in/kennandavison), an ex-Pinterest growth engineer & college dropout.