Software Engineer at Sleek
About the role
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our team as Employee #1. Bonus if you've worked in consumer, eCommerce, or Machine Learning before and have startup/entrepreneurial experience. As the first member of our engineering team, you'll work directly with the founders - especially our CTO - to design, build, and test new product features from conception to roll out. Every week, you'll ship new experiences to users and see the impact directly.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who wants to be at the ground floor of a generational internet platform. We’re on a mission to build technology that consumers can use on every eCommerce store in the world. If you are a human-centric product thinker that’s driven by impact at scale, we’d love to work with you!
The Tech Stack
There are 5 key components to Sleek's tech stack:
- The browser extension: written in Typescript, React, and uses the Chrome Extension API.
- The web-app front end: written in Typescript and React.
- The web-app API: written in Python (Django & DRF), using Postgres.
- The inference engine: written in Python (PyTorch).
- The data collection service: Python & Elixir.
What You’ll Do
- You'll own and drive product strategy across our stack to build new capabilities that make Sleek more performant, scalable, and delightful for users.
- You’ll ship product very fast and very often. Bias towards action.
- You'll grow as an engineer and as a person - we're looking for passionate people who want to work with an incredible team on a problem they really care about. You'll be stretched in new ways to do what you might think was impossible before.
- You'll solve challenging new problems - we believe the biggest opportunities come from tackling the hardest problems. At Sleek, we’re doing something that has never been done before - building a platform that can semantically understand and navigate every eCommerce store on the internet.
- You'll have the opportunity for outsized impact across several areas both now and in the future. Within our growing product/team, you can evolve into a leadership or more principal focused role, or gain the experience necessary to be an exceptional founder yourself one day.
Your Skills & Experience
- You have 2+ years of experience building and scaling high-quality, maintainable, products from the client to the server.
- You have a founder’s mentality, whether through working at a startup yourself or having gained entrepreneurial experience first-hand. Interesting side projects count, too 😊
- You appreciate good design and get excited to translate that into functional experiences people use every day.
- You love what you do - you love using your technical skillset and knowledge to create well-crafted products that create meaningful value.
- Nice to have: experience with ML in production (if not, don’t worry - we’ll teach you!).
We care more about your ability to learn and execute than what degree you hold or what college you attended.
Benefits (and Perks!)
- Employee equity plan.
- Generous compensation.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Perks like house cleaning, weekly meals, happy hours, and more.
- You’ll get to be part of an extremely close team that’s worked together for ~7 years.
- We invest heavily in our employees to make sure that the best and brightest work at Sleek.
Why you should join Sleek
Sleek is building a first-of-its-kind platform that can semantically understand and navigate every eCommerce store on the internet.
Our current product is a browser extension that lets users do 1-click checkout from anywhere. Users give us their credit card once, and we make checking out from any website as easy as buying from Amazon. Plus, Sleek gives users cash back (on top of their existing card rewards).
Deep down, we are creating a ‘self-driving’ experience for eCommerce. Our browser extension is powered by a Machine Learning engine that can understand and complete every checkout the same way a human would. That’s why we are the only platform that works everywhere. That's how we win.
We’re building a distributed team that’s remote-first, with hubs in Toronto and Vancouver. As founders, we’re a tight-knit group that has been friends for 7 years. We have experience building core features for Microsoft’s Edge browser, consulting global brands on eComm strategy, and structuring partnerships for fintechs. Now, we’re fixing checkout. Sleek is backed by Y Combinator and an outstanding group of investors that we’ll be announcing in the new year.