Software Engineer (Full Stack) - Employee #4 at Soteris
About the role
Soteris is a YC-backed company with a four-person team, a multi-year runway, and almost $1mm of contract revenue, serving a massive industry.
We write machine learning software to more accurately select and price insurance. We're now building out a first-of-its-kind data platform to facilitate the flow of data within commercial insurance - as the fifth team member, you will be an integral part of building this platform, working alongside a passionate team with diverse backgrounds working hard to modernize an antiquated industry.
I founded Soteris because the way insurance rates are set results in massive inefficiencies that increase prices for policyholders like you and me. From years of experience, I know for a fact that a machine learning approach is orders of magnitude better than what the largest insurers do - and our customer list is proof of that claim.
Before Soteris, I built a $750 million property and casualty (everything that’s not life or health) insurance company from scratch, out of a $16 billion hedge fund called Pine River Capital. This gave me deep visibility into how insurance works, through which I saw firsthand how much of the insurance value chain is littered with processes that might have made sense in 1920 – but are way past their prime in 2020. These inefficiencies lead to increased prices for policyholders, and they can all be solved by better use of existing data.
I started Soteris to do just that. In a short time, Soteris demonstrated that we could solve these problems to the tune of increasing our first customer’s policy profitability almost 60%.
In the end, our goal is to own the entire data value chain within property and casualty insurance. We've raised a large round from a number of top investors, including Y Combinator, Amplify Partners, Khosla Ventures, and Data Collective. Combine that with a lot of early revenue and a low burn rate, and we have a long, ample runway to execute our mission.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
You would be an integral part of creating the application and services that power our user-facing workflows and experiences.
Specifically, you would:
• Work closely with the product team and users to define user experiences and understand pain points.
• Navigate through ambiguity and build service prototypes to help refine product vision.
• Research and implement 3rd party service integrations.
• Make quick iterations based on new product requirements and user feedback.
• Help establish the engineering best practices and collaborative engineering culture that will allow the whole team to thrive.
Additionally, as part of a small, agile team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on multiple projects across the company to make an outsized impact on our product as a whole.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Experience building user-facing services in a cloud environment.
- Strong collaboration with the product team, with deep user empathy.
- A mindset of embracing ambiguity.
- 2+ years of professional software development experience.
- A strong desire to learn new things, with a high learning rate.
- An approach to teamwork similar to ours (reach out to find out more here).
- A deep interest in what we're working on.