Head of Finance at Stilt
About the role
Stilt (YC W16) is building a bank focused on 45 million immigrants in the US. Immigrants are traditionally shut out of the financial system because they lack a financial identity. We are building technology to democratize access to financial services.
Improving access to financial services for everyone, especially for the underserved and immigrants has never been more important. They contribute $1.6T to the economy, have built many $100B+ companies, and generated millions of jobs. Still, immigrants don't get the services they deserve. We are building technology to help immigrants from day 1 of their arrival. Since launch, we have helped hundreds of thousands of immigrants from 160+ countries. We are growing fast and now at an inflection point in our journey to help millions of immigrants.
We are based in San Francisco (open to remote), founded by an immigrant team with expertise in finance, technology, and machine learning. 70% of the team is immigrants and from underrepresented backgrounds. We are working hard to make financial services simple by using non-traditional data, building a modern scoring and decision engine, and improving operational efficiency.
It is a challenging and fulfilling opportunity for someone looking to make a difference in the lives of immigrants across the world. As we rewrite the approach to banking, we are looking for our lead Finance hire who believes in making this happen with us.
What you will do:
- Be the financial lead for the company and work directly with the founders to build a robust finance function.
- Manage all aspects of accounting operations and prepare financial statements (should be bulletproof).
- Own the entire P&L of the company. Also lead budgeting, planning, and forecasting process.
- Manage reporting relationships with banks, debt investors, and other capital providers ($250M+ debt facilities).
- Lead efforts to drive automation for internal and external financial reporting.
- Oversee all day to day financial operations - reconciliation, A/R, A/P, tax filing, tax reporting, etc.
- Lead hiring and growth of the finance team.
Who qualifications and skills we are looking for:
- A bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or economics.
- CPA or similar public accounting experience preferred.
- Masters degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- 6+ years of experience working in accounting and finance at a fintech (lending) company.
- Relevant understanding and experience with technical US GAAP.
- Experience in taking the company through annual audits is preferred.
- Understanding of accounting fintech companies specifically lending companies. Prior experience at a lending company preferred.
- Should have experience managing hundreds of millions in cash inflows and outflows.
- Experience working with engineers to build an automated finance function is a big positive.
- Knowledge and work experience with SQL is a big positive.
- Able to work in a remote company environment.
It’s extremely important that you know your stuff well and are willing to get your hands dirty. Working at a startup, you will get tremendous responsibility and will get to influence all areas of finance in the company.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits. Our employees love all the little things we do to celebrate them and make them feel a part of a strong team.
- The opportunity to collaborate with a team of creative, fun, and driven colleagues on products that have an immediate and significant impact on people's lives
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage (we cover 90% of insurance premiums)
- Contribute to a 401(k) (managed by Guideline)
- Virtual cards for you to spend on anything that can help you do your work better (no questions asked and no reimbursements need to be filed)
- Paid expenses (food, drinks, travel) when you meet team members close by (no questions asked and no reimbursements need to be filed)
- A laptop of your choice with any configuration (Windows or Mac)