Full Stack Engineer at Substack
About the role
We started Substack because the internet broke the old business model for great writing, leaving readers with addictive, clickbait-filled feeds, and writers with no money. Now there's an opportunity to build something better.
Substack helps writers go independent. It's a dead simple way to publish to the web, own your email list, and make money from subscriptions.
Readers subscribe directly to the writers they trust, and support them in creating valuable work that couldn't exist under an ad-supported model.
- Develop the core Substack product for readers and writers
- Contribute to the whole product process, from thinking through UX, to designing great UI, to implementation.
- Work with customers to solve their problems.
- We use: Node, Express, React, Postgres, Heroku
- Ship. You like to get things done.
- Take pride in building simple, beautiful products that create value for human beings.
- Can contribute across the full stack, but may have a deeper passion for some particular part - frontend, backend, etc.
- Lead. As an early employee, you will have a huge role shaping what Substack becomes.
- Flexible vacation
- $5k desk set up
- Full medical and dental insurance
Why you should join Substack
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 500,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
We're a team of writers and builders from Kik, Instagram, and some of the worlds top publications. Our investors include Y Combinator, founders of Twitch and Zynga, and most recently Andreessen Horowitz.