Senior Engineering Manager - Data and Backend at Tenjin
About the role
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager with some back-end, dev ops, or analytics engineering experience. Our ideal candidate is highly technical, an effective people manager, and excited about the challenges and opportunities of management in a remote work environment.
Team, Culture, and Product
We’re a 7-person engineering team in a 33-person company and are looking to rapidly and responsibly grow our team. We’re remote-heavy, spread across three continents with hubs in Berlin and San Francisco. We aim to help mobile app developers make data-driven decisions about their marketing in a secure, privacy-centric, user-friendly way.
We run our web and data processing services on Amazon EKS (Elastic Kubernetes Services). Most of our web services are in Go and most of our data processing services are in Java. We also have legacy data collection and backend services that are written in Ruby.
We use Kafka and Flink to process events. We serve aggregated reports from Postgres and use S3, Redshift, and DynamoDB for long-term storage.
Our user-facing dashboard is a Ruby on Rails web application with a React JS frontend.
- Manage a team of engineers, including hiring, mentorship, and performance management
- Help with planning and delivering projects
- Guide major architecture and software design decisions
- Establish a strong diverse, inclusive, welcoming culture
- Work with product management to define our roadmap and releases
- Develop and iterate on our existing processes to keep our team focused, informed, and excited about their projects
- Some experience with Go, AWS, Kubernetes, or Kafka
- Experience with Git and Github or similar
- Deep engineering management experience
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Experience with Flink or a similar, such as Spark or Storm
- Experience with Redshift or a similar data warehouse, such as BigQuery or Snowflake
- Experience with real-time analytics data warehouses, such as Druid, Clickhouse, or Pinot
- Experience with Ruby, but for this role you’d be reading a lot more Ruby than you’d be writing (if any)
- Experience with Jira/Confluence or similar
Why you should join Tenjin
Tenjin manages mobile growth infrastructure for our clients by organizing, analyzing, and securing the rush of data generated by mobile devices and marketing channels. We're reshaping mobile marketing by breaking down data silos and building an integrated data platform to replace the detached services in use today.
The team at Tenjin is small but growing. We feel passionately about doing work that matters. Working here will provide you with opportunities for growth and leadership at the intersection of big data and mobile marketing. If you’re looking to work in an environment with smart, talented coworkers who value good people and good ideas, we’d like to talk to you. Self-directed team players will enjoy the balance of flexibility and collaboration that guides our culture.
Tenjin is remote-friendly with people in San Francisco, Atlanta, Berlin, and Tokyo.