Senior Data Analyst - Marketing and Partnership (Remote)
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for a versatile analyst to leverage data in our acquisition and lifecycle efforts. In this role you will work closely with our Marketing, Business Development, and Product teams to evaluate marketing spend efficiency, new partnership opportunities, develop hypotheses and analyze A/B experiments, and define key performance metrics to guide the long term partnership and product marketing strategy. You will deep dive into user and subscriber behavior within our product ecosystem, have the opportunity to improve our data culture, and shape our long term strategy with your insights.
Headquarters is in San Francisco, CA but we are open to remote work across the United States and Canada.
- Be a key partner to the performance marketing and CRM teams, proactively providing deep insights into user behavior and segmentation to guide long-term strategy.
- Work closely with the Partnership product manager to define goals and success metrics for various partnership deals.
- Lead experimentation by providing guidance on hypothesis generation, opportunity sizing, and implementation, and evaluating the impact of experiments on our key metrics.
- Deep dive into customer behavior, financial, and market data to provide insights in developing new partnerships.
- Present insights and recommendations to cross-functional leads and executives.
- Proactively monitor the health of the business, including engagement and retention metrics, and regularly communicate updates to the cross-functional team.
- Contribute to data quality efforts by designing analytics instrumentation for new features, conducting user acceptance testing for feature usage tracking, and maintaining schema documentation.
- Foster a data-driven, test-and-learn culture with your passion for telling stories with data.
- 4+ years of experience in data analytics for a B2C company, management consulting, investment banking, and/or strategy analytics roles.
- Strategic & analytical mindset - top-notch strategic thinking and problem-solving ability, excellent business intuition.
- High proficiency in SQL and comfortable navigating data to perform a wide range of analyses.
- Can clearly articulate ideas, frame problems, and offer solutions.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, both at the executive level and with peers and cross-functional teams.
- Understand statistical testing: power analysis, sequential testing, continuous testing.
- Familiarity with Python, R, or another scripting language.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.