Software Engineer, Full Stack - UK Football (London) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a subscription-based media publisher of smarter sports coverage for die-hard fans. Founded in 2016, The Athletic’s full-time writers, alongside talented contributors and freelancers, have produced thousands of in-depth articles for subscribers free of ads, pop-ups and auto-play videos. With existing coverage in 45 markets and counting across North America, The Athletic is officially expanding into the United Kingdom. Our employees are talented reporters, writers, editors, engineers, designers, marketers, brand strategists and more, who are committed to helping sports fans fall in love with the sports page again.
About the Role
Football has become an integral part of The Athletic’s product and growth story. We launched our coverage of the Premier League in August 2019, and we have established ourselves as a major player in sports media and the authority on football journalism. We have grown to 95 journalists and editors covering international football, along with a headquarters team of 15.
As a full stack engineer, you will work in a cross-functional team of designers, product, data scientists and engineers to help develop our football product, including how to best showcase the work of our world-class journalists and delight football fans globally. You’ll be implementing new features using our tech stack (React, Wordpress, Apollo GraphQL, SQL) to help engage our audience in preparation for remarkable moments like the World Cup. We have lots of fresh ideas and are excited for you to join us to help us build the best football app in the world.
- Develop new features based on product specifications, ensuring to always optimize for scalability and performance.
- Contribute to and engage in our scrum process through sprint planning, review, retrospectives and daily standups.
- Understand the technical requirements of new requests and work with design and product to ensure the end result matches expectations of building a world class product.
- Fix live bugs and triage the issue with company peers so the root cause can be identified. We can patch live issues but we always go back to fix the bigger problem.
- Validate the quality of your work through manual and automated testing. We believe engineers own their code throughout the whole lifecycle of development until it’s live, giving them visibility and ownership over their work.
- 2+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and DynamoDB on the backend. All hosted on AWS. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
- Experience with automation frameworks.
- Passion for football is a big plus.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.