Junior Illustrator (TiFo) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a subscription-based media publisher of smarter sports coverage for die-hard fans. Founded in 2016, The Athletic’s full-time writers, alongside talented contributors and freelancers, have produced thousands of in-depth articles for subscribers free of ads, pop-ups and auto-play videos. With existing coverage in 45 markets and counting across North America, The Athletic is officially expanding into the United Kingdom. Our employees are talented reporters, writers, editors, engineers, designers, marketers, brand strategists and more, who are committed to helping sports fans fall in love with the sports page again.
About This Role
Tifo Football is one of the world’s most popular YouTube channels. We create In-depth tactical, historical and geopolitical breakdowns of the beautiful game. We know there’s an appetite for thoughtful, intelligent content, and for stuff that makes the complicated simple. Tifo was founded in 2017 and became a part of The Athletic in 2020.
As Junior Illustrator, you will be joining a highly successful content production team. Tifo sees football through a different lens. The game is textured, layered and deep, so we treat it that way, with illustrated analysis, historical portraits and range of podcasts, all aimed at covering the sport’s past, its present and – of course - its future.
In this role, you will be working closely with the illustration team, and the Managing Illustrator to produce videos for Tifo’s Youtube channel. You will need to have a passion for story-telling and visual communication. At Tifo we believe in making the complicated simple, and endeavour to be clear and precise as well as creative with our methods of visual communication. You will need enthusiasm for finding unique angles and methods to differentiate work - we champion our illustrators individual personalities and want to see that love of illustration in all our content. It’s not essential that you love football, although it may help. What is essential is that you love visual communication and are able to prove this through your work.
This is a really unique position and we welcome candidates from all backgrounds who have a passion for Youtube, story-telling and illustrated content.
This role is based in London, UK, and remote or flexible working from across the UK could be considered.
- The Junior Illustrator will receive scripts and voice overs, along with any necessary details or assistance needed, from the Managing Illustrator, and will be expected to create illustrations and assemble a video in time to meet the deadline.
- This involves the creation of multiple illustrations - so the candidate must be able to work quickly or adapt to a style in order to achieve this.
- It then involves a manageable level of animation work - our videos are best described as moving illustrations or explainer videos, rather than animations.
- We work as a team, so although we encourage our illustrators to build their own library of illustrations based on their own style of illustrating, at times we also share our work with each other, in order to be able to produce content in a speedy manner, if that is required.
- Good knowledge of Photoshop - a must.
- Good knowledge of After Effects and Premiere Pro would be a bonus. We are willing to train you in these programs if you are unfamiliar with them, so please apply regardless of whether you have any experience of moving image work.
- Good knowledge of basic graphic design skills - composition and layout, and the ability to follow brand guidelines where necessary.
- Good digital illustration skills and the ability to get a likeness on illustrations of people.
- The ability to work under pressure, work quickly and adapt to meet deadlines.
- The ability to work collaboratively as a team when needed.
- An understanding of effective visual communication - turning scripts into videos using your creativity, problem solving skills and ability to be clear and concise with information.
- An attention to detail.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.