Product Manager - Stats & The Game (Remote) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our product mission is to be the best place on earth for sports fans. We already provide an unrivaled breadth and depth of sports coverage. We are now looking for a product manager that can help us drive the strategy for our scores and stats experience. We have built some of the basics that any sports fan would expect from a sports app - box scores, schedules, standings, rosters and players stats. We need someone to come in and help take these experiences to the next level.
As the product manager for Stats & The Game team, you will be leading initiatives from evolving our box score experience, to providing our users with easy access to stats through widgets and data visualizations. We are excited for you to come in and run - there’s lots of opportunity and whitespace for an entrepreneurial product manager.
- Develop and execute on a product strategy and roadmap for scores and stats related initiatives working with Design, Engineering, and Product Marketing.
- Understand our end users, our company’s strategic goals, and the sports media landscape broadly to inform your roadmap.
- Support expansion into new sports verticals and geographies with best-in-class scores experiences.
- Foster a highly collaborative cross-functional environment focused on shared metrics and objectives.
- Work with the team’s Engineering Manager to develop effective and efficient scrum team working norms.
- Partner with team members to better understand our users and subscribers, both through user research and quantitative analysis.
- Communicate strategy and results to internal stakeholders.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences, especially within sports media and scores apps.
- 2+ years of product management experience at a fast-growing consumer company.
- Passionate sports fan and a box score app user. You have a strong understanding of what makes a great scores app, and ideas on how you would make our scores experience even better.
- Proven track record of developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users.
- Ability to excel in a cross-functional environment, engaging productively with engineers, designers, and marketing team members.
- You’re analytically driven, can make sense of data, and can get to the answers that will drive us forward.
- Eagerness to try new things and learn - and a willingness to fail.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.