Senior Product Designer - Stats and The Game (Remote) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our product mission is to be the best place on earth for sports fans. We already provide an unrivaled breadth and depth of sports coverage. We are now looking for a product designer who can help us drive the strategy for our scores and stats experience. We have built some of the basics that any sports fan would expect from a sports app - box scores, schedules, standings, rosters and players stats. We need a forward-thinking designer to come in and help take these experiences to the next level.
As a Sr. Product Designer on the Stats & The Game team, you will be helping lead initiatives from evolving our box score experience, to providing our users with easy access to stats through widgets and data visualizations, to constructing unique ways for users to interact across these experiences. There’s ample opportunity here for a product designer that thrives in a blue-sky environment and wishes to help pioneer a visual design language around these initiatives.
- Create user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and production-ready design deliverables.
- Work with engineers to ensure design quality and consistency across the user experience.
- Support high-level product strategy, ensuring we're asking the right questions and solving for the most important internal and external user needs.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, partnering with Product Managers, Engineers, Content Operations, SEO Strategists, and Product Analysts to take concepts from ideation to execution.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences, especially within sports media and scores apps.
- Actively contribute to The Athletic’s Design System.
- 5-7 years of experience working as a designer or art director for a consumer/content driven product design experience or digital agency.
- Expertise in both web and mobile applications.
- Strong Visual and Interaction Design skills, as exemplified in an online portfolio or presentation.
- Subject matter expertise related to sports apps and experiences. You have a strong understanding of what makes a great sports app, and ideas on how you could make our experience even better. (General sports betting knowledge a plus).
- Experience seeing work through with engineers and vendors with a high standard of quality and collaboration.
- Ability to manage your time across several workstreams.
- An eagerness to try new things, innovate and learn - and a willingness to learn from mistakes.
- Enthusiasm for being part of a multidisciplinary design studio and a collaborative design process.
- Expert Figma skills, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- Ability to draft micro-interactions and full scale product animations in After Effects.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.