Product Analyst (Remote)
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for an entrepreneurial product analyst to leverage our data in developing new product suites. In this role you will work closely with our Product, Marketing, Engineering, Data Science, and Design teams to leverage data to evaluate new opportunities, collaborate with engineers to define tracking and define initial data pipeline, develop hypotheses and analyze A/B experiments for new product experience and define key performance metrics to guide the long term product strategy. You will deep dive into user and subscriber behavior within our product ecosystem. You will have the opportunity to improve our data culture and shape the cross functional Lifecycle team strategy with your insights.
- Be a key partner to the game experience team, proactively providing deep insights into user behaviors, segmentation and habits to guide long-term product strategy.
- Partner with the product manager to define hypotheses and success metrics for various project/feature launches.
- Deep dive into customer behavior, financial, and market data to provide insights in developing new product strategies.
- Lead experimentation by providing guidance on hypothesis generation, opportunity sizing, and implementation, and evaluating the impact of experiments on our key metrics.
- Present insights and recommendations to cross-functional leads and executives.
- Proactively monitor the health of the business, including engagement and retention metrics, and regularly communicate updates to the cross-functional team.
- Contribute to data quality efforts by designing analytics instrumentation for new features, conducting user acceptance testing for feature usage tracking, and maintaining schema documentation.
- Foster a data-driven, test-and-learn culture with your passion for telling stories with data.
- 3+ years of experience in data analytics for a subscription based company, management consulting, investment banking, and/or strategy analytics roles.
- Strategic & analytical mindset - top-notch strategic thinking and problem-solving ability, excellent business intuition.
- High proficiency in SQL and comfortable navigating data to perform a wide range of analyses.
- Familiarity with Python, R, or another scripting language.
- Understand statistical testing: power analysis, sequential testing, continuous testing.
- Can clearly articulate ideas, frame problems, and offer solutions.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, both at the executive level and with peers and cross-functional teams.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.