Brand and Product Designer - Growth (Remote)
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for a brand & product designer to help us take the business to the next level, unlocking new growth levers and driving significant improvements to existing ones. You’ll be working with our Lifecycle Growth team, which aims to engage subscribers at key moments in the user journey and around major sports moments. This role will require a combination of visual design & UX design skills. You’ll be working on a range of projects, from developing new emails for subscribers to improving in-product onboarding flows, all of which will require thinking deeply about how we can best share our world-class content with users. We have a small (but mighty!) design team, so you will be the owner of a significant portion of our user touchpoints.
The Athletic is open to remote opportunities throughout the United States and Canada.
- Work with our Lifecycle team to shape the subscriber journey, creating a clear and compelling experience from the moment a user purchases a subscription. You will partner with the Lifecycle PM to develop our engagement strategy, with a plan to experiment and learn from qualitative and quantitative data.
- Create compelling and engaging emails that leverage our world-class content and deliver it to subscribers.
- Design in-product experiences to bring our engagement strategies to life.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, partnering with Product, Engineers, CRM Managers, Performance Marketers, and Product Marketers on taking concepts from ideation to execution.
- Present design solutions to cross-functional partners, defend design decisions, and incorporate feedback into the design cycle.
- Obsess over each touchpoint with our subscribers: digest emails, push notifications, newsletters, you name it. We’re excited to hear your ideas on how to improve the subscriber experience.
- Deliver email designs to the CRM team.
- Deliver high fidelity web and mobile app designs to the engineering teams.
- 2+ years of relevant brand, marketing, or product design experience.
- Experience developing high-quality and performant emails.
- Experience seeing work through with engineers with a high standard of quality.
- Experience developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users.
- Ability to manage your time across several workstreams.
- Excellent Figma and Adobe Creative Suite skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, etc.).
- Eagerness to try new things and learn - and a willingness to fail.
- Provide a link to your portfolio or provide work samples as part of the application process to be considered.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.