Manager, Growth Analytics (Remote) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the role
Data is at the center of The Athletic’s decision making process. It informs everything we do around the product, marketing, and even how we produce our content. As a Manager of Growth Analytics team, you will be leading a small team of analysts supporting our acquisition workstream as well as marketing team. You will help shape the way success is measured, define what questions should be asked, and scale analytics methods and tools to support our growth efforts. You will work in a highly collaborative environment with product, marketing, data science, and engineering teams. Your analyses will fuel our growth and product strategy and shape the future development of our product and marketing operation. You will provide deep insights into customer behaviors and marketing channel efficiency. You should have robust knowledge of customer lifecycle, onboarding experiences, and channel analysis for a consumer subscription company. You must be willing to be a technical mentor for the team and excited about shaping the data culture in the company.
- Establish partnership with product, marketing, and business partnership leads to influence the roadmap and strategy.
- Partner with product, marketing, and partnership leads to size. opportunities and define success for key strategic projects, new feature launches, and partnerships.
- Leverage your experience in A/B testing to identify, design, execute, and analyze thoughtful experiments to make high-impact changes.
- Provide high impact recommendations to senior leadership to influence company strategy based on in-depth analyses.
- Build and improve our reporting and experimentation capabilities, including dashboards, attribution models, and data models.
- Establish working relationships with the data science team in experimentation design, LTV estimations, etc.
- Be avid advocator of data quality and work with analytic operation team to improve data integrity and data governance.
- Foster a data-driven, test-and-learn culture with your passion for telling stories with data.
- 5+ years experience in data analytics for a subscription based or highly operational business
- 2+ years of experience managing high performance team
- Highly analytical mindset
- High proficiency in SQL and comfortable navigating data to perform a wide range of analyses
- Familiarity with Python, R, or another scripting language
- Experience with advanced analytic techniques like segmentations, clustering, regression models
- Understand statistical testing: power analysis, sequential testing, continuous testing
- Can clearly articulate ideas, frame problems, and offer solutions
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, both at the executive level and with peers and cross-functional teams
- Understanding of the subscription revenue model in the digital media space
Nice to have
- Understand financial modeling and forecasting
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.