Senior Product Manager, Discovery & Curation
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About The Role
The Athletic has changed the way sports fans follow their favorite teams and leagues. Our core product team works at the intersection of our engineering, design, and data teams, as well as The Athletic’s Newsroom, the largest in sports media. Our team strives to craft sports experiences that blend technology with world class sports journalism. Each member of our product team will take end-to-end ownership over the long term strategy and execution against a key company priority. The Discovery & Curation PM will lead the team’s efforts in helping sports fans explore, find, and consume the content that is right for them.
- Understand our users, our content, and the mechanisms at our disposal to deliver an amazing UX that enables users to find the right content at the right time.
- Define the forward looking vision and goals for our discovery and curation product areas, such as the algorithmically driven My Feed, editorially curated Front Page, push notifications, and email. In aggregate, these represent our most valuable channels.
- Set project level engagement KRs and deliver measurable impact against them.
- Lead a dedicated team across engineering, design, and analytics to execute against your roadmap, juggling multiple projects and stakeholders at once, including Data, Programming, Marketing, and Editorial.
- Push for product design and architecture that enables long term success for your individual product team.
- Identify areas of overlap and coordinate on technical dependencies with other teams. Raise tradeoff and resource issues to Product and Engineering leadership.
- Identify and advocate for big bets and innovation from your team
- 2-3 years of highly relevant Product Management experience, on top of additional experience working in a dynamic environment. You have experience delivering, managing, and innovating on a roadmap of features related to surfacing content to users.
- Strong experience in consumer products and have launched features that have driven meaningful impact to your company.
- A strong technical foundation, whether it comes from your education, or on the job experience. You’ll be working closely with our engineering team every day, and should feel comfortable talking about the systems we’re designing at all levels of abstraction.
- You have a knack for, and enjoy, working with design to solve complex UX challenges.
- You’re analytically driven. You love running experiments, working with data science, and can handle making sense of data and getting to the answers that will drive us forward.
- You bring an incredible work ethic, and a high bar - We’re a fast growing startup. We need people that can roll up their sleeves, deal with ambiguity, flex outside the role and focus on getting the job done. Moreover, you can do all of this without sacrificing the quality The Athletic is known for.
- A passion for the world of media and/or sports is a plus.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.