Engineering Manager - Sports Betting
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced engineering manager to grow and lead our team of engineers working on new Sports Betting products. This is a brand-new team, and we’re looking for an engineering leader who can excel at working closely with our Newsroom and Product teams to define our strategy, translate that strategy into staffing and technical roadmaps, and then grow and manage the team to execute on those roadmaps. Your team will build across all our platforms, including scores, in-game experience, articles, payments, growth, and more. Your team of full-stack engineers (and you too, ideally) will be working on every part of the stack: web, backend, API, database, analytics.
- This is a brand-new team. You will be responsible for hiring additional engineers to fill out the team, with a focus on diversity and inclusion, and staffing and structuring your team to meet business needs.
- Manage your team and help them to deliver high-quality software in a fast-paced, agile, high-growth environment.
- Make technology, infrastructure, architectural, and hiring decisions to meet anticipated demands and scale.
- Evaluate trade-offs and effectively prioritize tasks within each team in alignment with strategic initiatives and company goals.
- Collaborate closely with product, design, editorial, data science, and marketing teams to define strategy and execute on roadmaps.
- Hold regular 1:1s, evaluate performance, and provide consistent productive feedback.
- Help engineers learn the skills needed to advance in their career.
- Work with engineers and product managers to iterate on and improve team processes and efficiency.
- Contribute to important company-wide initiatives like diversity and inclusion, technical brand, and hiring process.
- 2+ years of experience managing an engineering team.
- Experience leading a team building both web and iOS/Android products.
- Direct experience scaling a small to medium/large team highly desired (but not required).
- Enthusiasm to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- A strong desire to stay connected to the codebase—this is a hands-on role.
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA but this role (and the engineers on your team) can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.