Head of Corporate DEI (Remote)
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is searching for a Head of Corporate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to develop and execute on The Athletic’s efforts towards diversifying our corporate team. The ideal candidate is a strategic, operations-oriented thinker that can successfully execute on existing strategies, as well as recommend, advocate for, and implement new solutions that support the company’s DEI goals. This individual will work alongside the Newsroom DEI Director and will partner closely with the People, Talent, and Finance Teams, as well as liaise with Executive Leadership and employee-led groups to achieve a broad scope of objectives.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are critical elements to all aspects of the business. This role will partner with existing teams across the company to support:
Hiring, Sourcing, & Internships
• Partner with Talent Acquisition to develop diverse and inclusive sourcing strategies for internal and external roles.
• Partner with People Operations & the Newsroom DEI Director to implement a universal internship program.
• Partner with managers across departments to recommend improvements towards an equitable hiring process.
• Identify training opportunities for hiring managers and panelists that promote DEI throughout the hiring process.
Learning & Development
• Partner with the Newsroom DEI Director to implement a universal mentorship program.
• Partner with the People Team, Talent Team, and Newsroom DEI Director to build and execute on learning programs for managers and individual contributors.
• Collaborate with various stakeholders to build and enhance The Athletic’s broader Learning, Growth & Development initiatives.
Advocacy & Culture
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with members of the Corporate DEI Council to further enhance DEI at The Athletic.
• Partner with the Newsroom DEI Director and Communications team to maintain an annual calendar of initiatives that diversify and celebrate the company’s many perspectives.
• Partner with The Athletic Communities (The Athletic’s ERG’s) Leadership Teams and sponsors on all advocacy items.
• Identify and engage additional underrepresented groups at The Athletic.
• Partner with the People Team to enhance ERG processes, awareness, and initiatives.
• Partner with Legal to review and approve any pieces that are particularly sensitive, controversial, etc.
• Regularly participate in senior meetings to advocate for perspectives, ideas, and trends that would otherwise be missing from the conversation.
• 7+ years experience and subject matter expertise of fundamental DEI foundations and principles, including deep knowledge of current DEI best practices.
• Extensive knowledge of how a scaling corporate organization functions, including people management, employee development, and talent acquisition.
• Strong experience at building and managing relationships with internal stakeholders (employees) and external partners, such as universities and industry organizations.
• Ability to conceptualize a strategy, set timelines, and execute a strategic vision.
• Capable of getting into the weeds and focusing on tactical items when necessary, especially when building new programs.
• Capable of compiling objective data and subjective human experience to create thoughtful solutions for complex, nebulous problems.
• Demonstrated professional experience owning and implementing corporate DEI programs.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.