Director, Product Design
About the role
The Athletic is hiring an experienced Director of Product Design to lead and grow our Product Design team. You will lead a team of product designers to create product experiences that meet users’ needs, exceed their expectations, and elevate The Athletic brand. You will help direct the product roadmap, set compelling strategies and vision for the team, and own the product design process from end-to-end. You will play a significant role in building out The Athletic’s design team culture as we continue to grow. You will be a key member of the product leadership team, reporting directly to the Chief Product Officer.
- Lead and grow the product design team by attracting and retaining top talent
- Manage the product design process, drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and schedules
- Enhance our design system that unifies product and marketing experiences
- Directly support growth and business objectives such as acquisition, conversion, subscription, and engagement
- Create a strong design vision for our product in partnership with product and company leadership
- Plan and facilitate collaborative work sessions with all levels of the product organization
- Establish the vision, mission, and OKRs for the Product Design team
- Lead the product team through rigorous design reviews
- Meaningfully contribute to the team’s output by spending a portion of your time working directly with PMs and producing production quality designs for engineering handoffs
- 10+ years of visual and interaction design experience, shipping mobile centric consumer products
- 5+ years in a product design management or leadership role
- Experience growing scalable design process within design teams
- Experience leading design strategy all the way from vision to concept to production
- A BA/BS degree in Creative Arts, Design or another creative field.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high paced environment while juggling multiple projects in parallel
- Ability to bring cross-functional teams together to foster creative collaboration
- Comfortable with tight deadlines
- Obsessive attention to detail
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.