Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack - Growth Team (Remote) at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
For the company’s first 5 years, our subscriber growth engine has been powered by a small but effective growth team. Our business has now grown to the point where we’re ready to expand our Growth team into 3 distinct teams (Pricing, Acquisition, and Lifecycle).
Our Acquisition team will be focused on growing our subscriber base and moving metrics that power our subscription business. The team will be responsible for a significant part of the product, including payments infrastructure, subscription growth funnels, converting visitors to free users, as well as earlier-stage products such as referrals.
Our Pricing and Experimentation team will be focused on growing our subscriber base through rapid experimentation on how we merchandise and price our subscription offering, one of the top growth levers for the business. This team will also drive longer-term strategic changes to the core subscription provisioning infrastructure to set us up for the next phase of growth.
Our Customer Lifecycle team will be focused on improving engagement and retention of our free users and subscribers, a massive lever for growing our business. The team will be responsible for a significant part of the product, including our algorithmic daily digest email, CRM email strategy, winbacks, cancellation, and other touchpoints along the lifecycle of users and subscribers.
As a full-stack engineer, you’ll get to work on every part of the stack: web, backend, API, database, analytics.
- Work with Design and Product teams to build a web UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Architect and build the backend/api layer to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other team members.
- Work with the team to influence technology direction.
- Ideate and suggest product improvements and features through a symbiotic relationship with Product team.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- 4+ years experience as a full-stack software engineer.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant discipline.
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and DynamoDB on the backend. All hosted on AWS. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
- Passion for sports is a bonus, but passion for experimentation and data-driven decision making is a must.
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.