Editorial Operations Associate, UK at The Athletic
About the role
The Athletic is a subscription-based media publisher of smarter sports coverage for die-hard fans. Founded in 2016, The Athletic’s full-time writers, alongside talented contributors and freelancers, have produced thousands of in-depth articles for subscribers free of ads, pop-ups and auto-play videos. With existing coverage in 45 markets and counting across North America, The Athletic is officially expanding into the United Kingdom. Our employees are talented reporters, writers, editors, engineers, designers, marketers, brand strategists and more, who are committed to helping sports fans fall in love with the sports page again.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking an Editorial Operations Associate responsible for supporting the day-to-day integration of our UK editorial and content operations businesses, with a focus on cross-functional projects around sales / business development, content campaign planning, product integration and UK-focused business initiatives.
With a 425-person editorial staff and a growing HQ tasked with driving subscriptions, engagement, and new revenue lines, we need a strong collaborator with an analytical mind and business acumen. The sports media industry is an ever-evolving space, and therefore this position will be comfortable with ambiguity and thriving as a self-starter. The ideal candidate is willing to roll up their sleeves and take on tasks big and small in support of our broader mission to change how sports fans consume media.
The Editorial Operations Associate will work hand-in-hand with our UK Editorial Operations Manager, Editorial Operations and the editorial leadership team. They’ll also collaborate with a cross-functional HQ group including Product, Business Development, Sales, Marketing, Programming, Social, Audio, Communications, and Analytics, to help The Athletic leverages best-in-class journalism to reach new and existing subscribers across the globe.
- Project manage communication, planning and new feature implementation between Editorial and the rest of the business.
- Partner with Editorial, Sales and Marketing teams to develop new content experiences that drive subscriptions, engagement and revenue.
- Collaborate with our Business Development and Sales teams on key revenue-driving initiatives that require Editorial contributions.
- Execute on planned communication processes between key Editorial and HQ stakeholders that ensure alignment and coordination on key initiatives.
- Liaise with our Analytics teams - both HQ and editorial - to help with planning and implementation of content strategy and to monitor success metrics for writers and editors.
- Manage vendor relationships that provide tools and support for our wider newsroom.
- Communicate results to internal stakeholders.
- 2+ years of digital operations, editorial, partnerships or product experience, ideally in editorial/media, sports, or a start-up environment.
- Deep sports knowledge, with global soccer familiarity included.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion and understanding of The Athletic, our writers and our content.
- Critical thinker pertaining to content promotion, partnerships and product.
- Creative, strategic mindset in which no task is too big or small.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.