Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack) - Subscriber Experience
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is growing quickly, and the engineering team that owns our core product experience is scaling to keep pace with our subscriber growth. We’re re-organizing this group into multiple teams, each with a specific focus, and looking for engineers to join each team.
Our Core team will work directly with our newsroom to ensure we’re delivering the best possible product across all the ways our users consume our content: articles, podcasts, video, short-form content, and more. The mission of this team will be to enhance our core product platform to surprise and delight our users.
Our Discovery and Curation team will focus on ensuring that we’re delivering the right content to the right users, and this team will own the technology that powers all of our feeds, our homepage, human and algorithmic curation of content for users, and making sure we’re delivering the right product for every sports fan.
Our Audience Expansion team will be focused on building experiences that increase the ways in which The Athletic reaches sports fans. The team will be working on important initiatives to optimize our current product surfaces (i.e SEO), building content formats that attract new users (i.e newsletters, liveblogs), launching newsroom initiatives (i.e new leagues launches, opinion desk) and distributing our content to reach users in new ways (i.e voice-enabled devices, News apps).
As a full-stack engineer, you’ll get to work on every part of the stack: web, backend, API, database, analytics.
- Work with Design and Product teams to build a web UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Architect and build the backend/api layer to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other team members.
- Work with the team to influence technology direction.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and improvements alongside the design and product teams.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- 4+ years experience as a full-stack software engineer
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant discipline
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and DynamoDB on the backend. All hosted on AWS. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
- Passion for sports is a bonus, passion for experimentation and data-driven decision making is a must
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.