Product Designer - Acquisition
About the role
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for a product designer to help us take the business to the next level, unlocking new growth levers and driving significant improvements to existing ones. We have a small (but mighty!) design team, so you’ll be responsible for designing UX on a significant part of the product, including subscription growth funnels, conversion of visitors to free users, and payments, as well as earlier stage products such as referrals, in partnership with the Product team and senior product designer. You’ll also work closely with our Product Marketing and Performance Marketing teams to power their acquisition efforts.
- Design solutions for the trial and adoption of The Athletic’s subscriptions product.
- Work with our growth team to shape the entire user journey, creating a clear and compelling experience from the first time someone encounters The Athletic to completing their subscription purchase. You will partner with the Pricing PM to develop our acquisition strategy, with a plan to experiment and learn from qualitative and quantitative data.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, partnering with Product Managers, Engineers, Performance Marketers, and Product Marketers on taking concepts from ideation to execution.
- Present design solutions to cross-functional partners, defend design decisions, and incorporate feedback into the design cycle.
- Obsess over improving flows: paywalls, registration, checkout, onboarding, upgrading, you name it. We’re excited to hear your ideas on how to improve them.
- Deliver high fidelity web and mobile app designs to the engineering teams.
- Design flows, prototypes, sketches, and testing for your features.
- 2+ years of relevant product design experience
- B2C experience is highly preferable, but will consider B2B
- Experience working on cross-functional teams.
- Understanding of acquisition flows, conversion surfaces like checkout pages, and/or A/B experimentation
- Performance-focused design experience that shows an ability to move key performance metrics (e.g. click-through rate, conversion rate, activation rate)
- Experience developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users
- Eagerness to try new things and learn - and a willingness to fail
- Experience supporting the design process by creating user flows, wireframes, UI designs, prototypes, and establishing/maintaining design systems
- Experience seeing work through with engineers with a high standard of quality
- Ability to manage your time across several workstreams
- Excellent Figma, Sketch and prototyping skills
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Why you should join The Athletic
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 600 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.